Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

High Idle and Accelleration Problem 86 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Default High Idle and Accelleration Problem 86 Accord

I have a carb'd 1986 Accord. I recently (and by recently I mean within a week) had the carb rebuilt because I was having issues with my accord to stay running. It would sputter then die.

Well tonight I was driving down the street - the car was just under, even at normal running temp. The Idle dropped pretty low for a second, but then was fine when i was driving. I had to accel kinda hard to get with the flow of traffic, drove for about a mile then had to slow to turn. When I was pressing the brake it was extremely hard to stop the car, I immediatly knew something was wrong, so I turned and headed right home about a mile from where i was at. While i was driving my car started accelerating by it self it seemed and to keep from just going faster and faster I had a constant hold on the brake. If i didnt hold the brake the car would have went well over 60MPH without me touching the gas. It really was trying to go all by its self.

I got home pulled in the drive and couldnt even get the car to stop, i pulled the E-Brake and still couldnt get the car to stop so I just shut it off at the ignition. It kinda like dieseled and sputterd then shut off.

I have no clue what it is, anyone have thoughts or ideas so I know where to start looking?

Old 05-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb Hello New Member

Welcome to the HAF..glad to have you with us.

It sounds like your gas pedal spring may have come off at the end there. Check it when you see this to see if that is what it might be.

WheelBrokerAng
click the image

Attached Thumbnails High Idle and Accelleration Problem 86 Accord-450627main_image_1657_946-710.jpg  
Old 05-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Check out the vacuum hose for the brake booster (#7,8). Sounds like that's broken or disconnected? Your comment about the brakes was the tip-off for that.

It's also possible that the brake vacuum-booster is broken. Got a Mity-Vac? or some other way to check if that thing holds vacuum?

Old 05-20-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
Welcome to the HAF..glad to have you with us.

It sounds like your gas pedal spring may have come off at the end there. Check it when you see this to see if that is what it might be.

WheelBrokerAng
click the image

Thanks for your response I do appreciate it!!
So I got up under there and checked all of the springs and cables and everything looks ok, no broken springs or pinched cables everything seems to be moving pretty smoothly and easily. Thanks for that check tho, I wouldnt have thought to check there...
Now this is up under the dash by the gas pedal where i looked, correct me if i should have looked elsewhere

Old 05-20-2010, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Check out the vacuum hose for the brake booster (#7,8). Sounds like that's broken or disconnected? Your comment about the brakes was the tip-off for that.

It's also possible that the brake vacuum-booster is broken. Got a Mity-Vac? or some other way to check if that thing holds vacuum?
Thanks for your response and the thought, we did replace all of the vacuum hoses when we did the carb because there were alot of old hoses up under the hood, I double checked those and they looked ok to me. If you think of anything else let me know.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:56 PM

So just an update. I've been under the hood and checking everything and still trying to troubleshoot this problem but not much luck on my part.

I went through and made sure all the vacuum hoses were connected and everything is connected correctly.

Just a little bit of info that might be helpful - When I start the car, it immediately idles up to about 4000rpm's and doesnt go down even after warming up.. Hope this maybe helpful to you

Old 05-21-2010, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Did you check to see if the booster holds vacuum?

Old 04-04-2013, 04:07 AM

Did u ever figure out what the problem was? I have the same car same problems. Idles high and sputters when I shut it off.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

What is the choke doing? Meaning pull the top of the air cleaner....remove the "screen" over the top of the carb throat....don't drop the nut in there.

Start the car and look at the choke buttery fly when the engine is warm? Is it open, half open, almost all the way closed?

Me, most of these issues are from the "fast idle unloader".