General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thumping/popping sound when braking slowly and on hot days

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Unhappy Thumping/popping sound when braking slowly and on hot days

I have a 2008 Accord and recently, in the past month I can hear a thumping/popping sound when I brake slowly, like to make turns or when im stopping slowly. The sound seems to be louder and happens more on hot days. I know it's coming from the front because I can sort of feel it at my feet when I brake. It doesnt happen at all when i'm driving at any speed over 20mph. I can hear it when i'm at a red light and let go of the brakes w/out pressing on the gas (you know when it's going really slow).

I have talked to the Honda service dept about it, and they "looked" at the front brakes but said nothing was wrong.

I don't think cars are supposed to make that sound. Has anyone had that happen?? What can it be if not the front brakes?

Old 07-18-2011, 08:18 AM

I have accord 08 also and had exactly the same problem as yours. I visited the dealer describing as following (I actually printed this out to the dealer and attached onto the service form so that technician can easily get what the problem is);

Symptom : Thumping noise at front area
(seems to be related to brake or axle)

1. No Thumping in the morning or cold engine
2. Thumping increases in hot weather or frequent brake use.
3. Thumping happens irregular from 0-30m/h
4. Thumping can be heard at accelerating when brake pedal is released
5. We can feel and hear thumping from brake pedal while driving
6. Thumping can be heard when both moving straight and turning, not specifically at turning
7. Thumping can be heard when brake pedal is released. I can distinguish the normal sound of brake release and this thumping which is different.
8. No thumping at high speed
9. No thumping at passing speed bump
10. No brake scratching sound
11. The car was serviced for 50K in June.

They worked almost whole day and ended up with resurfacing the rotor. After getting back the car, the thumping got better but still there. But I can identify exactly as following (Quite obvious);

1. When I apply brake, the thumping can be heard between 5-0mile.
2. At green light, the thumping can be heard when I take off the brake pedal
3. There used to be a thumping between 0 to 20mile but this was gone after service

I have another appointment to revisit to fix the residual thumping. I hope they don't charge.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:50 PM

sounds like a sticking caliper piston maybe?

figure the dealer would find that so maybe not

Old 07-19-2011, 08:38 AM

Thank you. I am going to dealer again as I paid almost $400 for resurfacing of rotors but still have problem. I will mention this.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:28 AM

they will foot the bill sense they did not fix the problem to begin with.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:11 AM

Thank you!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Administrator
Smile That dealorship or fix-it shop..

Originally Posted by ian6951
Thank you. I am going to dealer again as I paid almost $400 for resurfacing of rotors but still have problem. I will mention this.
Needs to be turned into the better business bureau for charging that much..you could have bought new rotors for 1/3rd of that price.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Default Keep me posted... I still have that issue...

It was last year that I first posted this and during the cooler season the sound disappeared. Now, it's back!

Please let me know if you get this resolved!

Old 07-21-2011, 08:38 AM

Sure. I revisited Honda yesterday 7:30AM and got a call that they had no time to look and will do tomorrow....I will certainly let you know.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Default Make it 3

Hi everyone! I wanted to make a post that I have a 2011 Accord EXL V6 and my car is doing the EXACT same thing as you have described here. I bought it in December and did not notice any unusual "sounds" until around May. The popping seems to start after the car has been running for awhile. I have taken the car in twice and they have checked everything and have said nothing is wrong. The brakes are fine. They did tighten the suspension and checked the rotars. It was fine for a day or two and then it has started up again. My car has 6,000 miles on it but the noise began around 4,000. I know this is definitely NOT normal.

I have had 2 Accords previously (2002 and 2005). This is why I decided to purchase a third. Loved both of my other Accords. Both were 4 cylinders though. Not sure if this is a common occurrence on V6's or not.

I know we cannot be the only people experiencing this. I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Thumping/popping sound when braking slowly and on hot days