General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thumping/popping sound when braking slowly and on hot days

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 12:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Refer to post # 31.
You called it, I guess, Redbull.

I listened to the video way back when. My car sounds more like a pop, click and thumping noise. It happens mostly when I start and stop the car. Only once in a while do I hear noises when turning like in the video.

That's kinda what had me confused.

I do hope it's the balljoint. Hopefully HondaCare will cover it when the new part is out.

I'd consider going to an independent and having it done on my own expense. I just would hate to change the balljoint only to find out it wasn't the problem.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

The parts aren't that expensive, the balljoint on the upper arm is like $2.85 and the lower balljoint on the knuckle is like $34.83. It shouldn't take too long for them to replace them, labor wise.

If it is the balljoint at the upperarm, they might even try to replace the entire upper arm, the part is like $201.23.

Hopefully, they don't give you any trouble regarding the parts and labor with your HondaCare.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Another call from Honda corporate yesterday. They hope to have a 'counter measure part' available with specific installation instructions in a few weeks. Lower front balljoint.

I was contemplating taking to an independent NOW to get it done--the noise is driving me nutso. But now I think I'll wait the few weeks.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Update:

This issue has been getting worse with the thumping, popping, creaking getting more noticeable and irritating. The last time I heard either from the dealer, district parts/service mgr, or their corporate rep was over a month ago so I called and left asked for an update.

Two days later the service guy called saying he was expecting the new ball joints. Supposedly they are reengineered 'countermeasure' parts.

The works been done and I go pickup the car today. The service director is anxious for me to test it out and see if the fix works. Apparently he has others that will need the fix too.

I also got the vtc actuator replaced at the same time to fix a rattle at start up.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Will update once I know if this solved the problem.

Lansing

Updated 11/15/2012

The thumping /popping / creeking problem that was getting worse by the day is now fixed!

Towards the end, on hot days it would sound and feel like the front end was loose. I'd look in the rear view mirror when driving expecting to see a trail of nuts, bolts and screws. I am happy to report that the new 'counter measure' ball joints were installed and after over a week of driving, the car is quiet and feels solid. Here are the part numbers for the ball joints:

OLD Ball joint p/n 51220-TA0-A02
NEW Updated Ball joint p/n 51220-TA0-306

Dealer also needed two pins and front knuckle rings.

Good luck to anyone else who has this problem. I've been going to the dealer for 6 months without resolution. I'd say the car was in there 10-12 times and all I got each time (if I was lucky) was a free car wash.

Problem is now fixed

Last edited by Lansing; 11-18-2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 07-10-2014, 08:09 AM

If anyone is still having the same problem described in this thread, I have another solution that may help you. For over a year now, my 2008 Accord has had a thumping noise in the front end. It is noticeably worse on very hot days and only does is when coasting very slowly like when slowing down for a stop light. And then again when accelerating from a stop. A local mechanic finally diagnosed the problem as the driver's side inner tie rod. It is not a very expensive part or fix. Just make sure to have the car aligned after replacing. Hope this helps anyone with this annoying problem.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:28 PM
Default Still fixed?

Lansing,

Is the thumping/popping noise still gone? I'm having the same issue and wanted to know if it really worked!

Originally Posted by Lansing
Update:

This issue has been getting worse with the thumping, popping, creaking getting more noticeable and irritating. The last time I heard either from the dealer, district parts/service mgr, or their corporate rep was over a month ago so I called and left asked for an update.

Two days later the service guy called saying he was expecting the new ball joints. Supposedly they are reengineered 'countermeasure' parts.

The works been done and I go pickup the car today. The service director is anxious for me to test it out and see if the fix works. Apparently he has others that will need the fix too.

I also got the vtc actuator replaced at the same time to fix a rattle at start up.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Will update once I know if this solved the problem.

Lansing

Updated 11/15/2012

The thumping /popping / creeking problem that was getting worse by the day is now fixed!

Towards the end, on hot days it would sound and feel like the front end was loose. I'd look in the rear view mirror when driving expecting to see a trail of nuts, bolts and screws. I am happy to report that the new 'counter measure' ball joints were installed and after over a week of driving, the car is quiet and feels solid. Here are the part numbers for the ball joints:

OLD Ball joint p/n 51220-TA0-A02
NEW Updated Ball joint p/n 51220-TA0-306

Dealer also needed two pins and front knuckle rings.

Good luck to anyone else who has this problem. I've been going to the dealer for 6 months without resolution. I'd say the car was in there 10-12 times and all I got each time (if I was lucky) was a free car wash.

Problem is now fixed

Old 06-06-2023, 02:05 PM

I have the 2006 Honda Accord coupe EX. Put car in shop to have lower control arms, ball joints, struts, sway bar links, steering knuckles, and stabilizer links installed. Drove the car a few times before the left CV axle broke. After having that replaced the car now has the pop/thump on left side of front. I am over $2k in front rebuild and still have the noise. If anyone knows what holds the cv axle off the frame, on left side, it may be the answer to what is causing noise.

Old 08-24-2023, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by lovethequeen
I have a 2008 Accord and recently, in the past month I can hear a thumping/popping sound when I brake slowly, like to make turns or when im stopping slowly. The sound seems to be louder and happens more on hot days. I know it's coming from the front because I can sort of feel it at my feet when I brake. It doesnt happen at all when i'm driving at any speed over 20mph. I can hear it when i'm at a red light and let go of the brakes w/out pressing on the gas (you know when it's going really slow).

I have talked to the Honda service dept about it, and they "looked" at the front brakes but said nothing was wrong.

I don't think cars are supposed to make that sound. Has anyone had that happen?? What can it be if not the front brakes?

I have SAME issue. Been to 2 suspension shops, 2 mechanics. Can't find what is causing it. And it gets worse on hot days and when I drive it longer. Anyone have an answer?