General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Thumping/popping sound when braking slowly and on hot days

Old 08-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Default No progress...

The Honda dealer inspected my car 2 days but couldn't find out anything. I am almost sure that this is something about brake system, not axle. But they couldn't catch it.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Default I have the same noise problem

I took my 2009 Honda Accord EX-L V6 to the dealer two days ago for this same braking noise problem. They found out that the lower control arm was loose, so they tightned it. However, the noise went away for a little while. This morning the popping noise came back after driving the car for a while. Like you guys, the warmer the weather is, the louder the noise is. The brakes and rotors are fine. I have no idea what else it could be.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:44 AM

Hi Ian, I guess you must have your car fixed by now. This just happens to my Accord as well. Could you please advise if your car is fixed and what was the problem? Thank you. Luke

Old 05-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by fordmustang0
I took my 2009 Honda Accord EX-L V6 to the dealer two days ago for this same braking noise problem. They found out that the lower control arm was loose, so they tightned it. However, the noise went away for a little while. This morning the popping noise came back after driving the car for a while. Like you guys, the warmer the weather is, the louder the noise is. The brakes and rotors are fine. I have no idea what else it could be.
Ditto here. I took it to the shop on a cooler day and it wasn't an issue. Today it's 80 degrees out, and I feel the clicking/thumping through the steering wheel and brake when I start and stop. Wierd.

I thought it might be glazed brake pads, and I took it in the other day. Sanded down the pads, but it's still happening.

What is this???

Old 05-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by lovethequeen
It was last year that I first posted this and during the cooler season the sound disappeared. Now, it's back!

Please let me know if you get this resolved!
Was this ever resolved? Since it's warming up, I am noticing the problem, too. At starts and stops (slow)...feels like a pop, creek/thump.

What the heck?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Do you "feel" this in the pedal or the steering wheel?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Do you "feel" this in the pedal or the steering wheel?
I actually feel it in both the brake pedal and steering wheel.

When slowing down, it creeks/pops at the stop. Then when I release the brake, it pops/thumps again. When it really gets warm, it starts thumping and creeking as I slow down (less than 5 mph) and as I speed back up (slowly). It almost feels like the brake pads are sticking or something, but what do I know.

I've heard everything from motor mounts, sticking caliper, glazed pads... And I don't want to be negative, but I just know that if I take it into the stealer, it's an automatic brake job all the way around (I don't think that's what it is).

Ideas?

Thanks.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I know the 08's had something with the rear wearing too much, not sure if that also goes for the newer ones....same gen so I don't see why not?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Mystery

It's a mystery.

I dropped the car off at the dealer, and had the service consultant sit next to me and he heard the thumping.

Next thing I know I get a call back saying they couldn't recreate the noise again. Arghh.

So one wierd thing is that it's not making the noise as loud (it could be my imagination). He did say I was 1/2 quart low on tranny fluid. Don't think it has anything to do with it, but we said we'd wait and see if it gets worse and attack it again.

Stumped.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lansing
It's a mystery.

I dropped the car off at the dealer, and had the service consultant sit next to me and he heard the thumping.

Next thing I know I get a call back saying they couldn't recreate the noise again. Arghh.

So one wierd thing is that it's not making the noise as loud (it could be my imagination). He did say I was 1/2 quart low on tranny fluid. Don't think it has anything to do with it, but we said we'd wait and see if it gets worse and attack it again.

Stumped.
What year is your car?

How many miles do you have on it?

Is this a 4 or 6 cylinder?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thumping/popping sound when braking slowly and on hot days