General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Thumping/popping sound when braking slowly and on hot days

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

I am not sure what "axle and nut" and nut they adjusted. If the axle was at fault, I don't know if anything other than replacement may fix the problem. Did they give you the invoice stating what exactly was done? Your issue may or may not be an actual axle problem.

I don't believe your issue is a wheel bearing problem. A faulty wheel bearing may sound like a droning or roaring, eventually causing vibrations, etc. The droning noise is more constant then a thumping/clunking noise. The wheel bearing is in the steering knuckle.

I would even suspect a bad ball joint due to the sounds you describe, which is located in the steering knuckle. Does it sound like this video:

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxduvkR4IkU"

Old 05-22-2012, 11:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by redbull-1
I am not sure what "axle and nut" and nut they adjusted. If the axle was at fault, I don't know if anything other than replacement may fix the problem. Did they give you the invoice stating what exactly was done? Your issue may or may not be an actual axle problem.

I don't believe your issue is a wheel bearing problem. A faulty wheel bearing may sound like a droning or roaring, eventually causing vibrations, etc. The droning noise is more constant then a thumping/clunking noise. The wheel bearing is in the steering knuckle.

I would even suspect a bad ball joint due to the sounds you describe, which is located in the steering knuckle. Does it sound like this video:

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxduvkR4IkU"

Thanks, Redbull.

Yes, I am not clear on exactly what was done, either. The Service Advisor pointed to the wheel and said they adjusted the axle...and the nut. I asked if that was the one that held the wheel bearing (not that I really know, but 20 years ago, I changed bearings doing that). He was kinda vague.

Anyway, I don't have the invoice yet...they left it open since there's other work to be done.

Purely conjecture, but maybe it's that nut that keeps the rotor on? Could that be too loose? I know--oversimplifying.

I'll keep you posted. At least if anyone else experiences something similar, they'll have a string to refer back to. I searched and found people with what sounded like similar experiences, but I didn't really see too many solutions.

Thanks again.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 3rd or 4th Try to Fix Popping

Brought the car back in today.

Dealer is diagnosing (first fixed my bumpy power driver's seat).

Says that his techs have been working on it again. Remember, so far they've tried:

Upper control arm
Axle 'adjustment'

Today they think it has something to do with the power steering system. Mentioned tie rod. I think they're working with the tech line at Honda corporate.

Stay tuned. I just would love to drive the car without that popping/creeking. Starts to feel like the front end is coming apart.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:39 PM

I am having the same issue. Started last summer , had car into dealer multiple times. Goes away in cooler weather, and now it's back! Called dealer, and Honda north America, no tsbs. In for a long annoying summer again. Any help out there?

Old 05-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Update:

Car's still in the shop. It's been there maybe 5 days in the last 2 weeks.

The service advisor says they used some sort of chasis listening device and are trying to narrow down the culprit. They still think it has something to do with the steering rack binding.

I reminded them that this is their third shot at it, and I asked him if he was confident that they had figured it out. He said it was a tough one and that they're going to order the steering rack and try that one on Friday.

Wondering now if it could be the axle, but the dealer says that axles make noise when under stress...my popping/clunking can be heard starting, stopping, and now at low speeds.

Lucky for me I have HondaCare, so it should be covered. There was a question about rental car coverage, so I called them, and they told me the dealer had ordered a steering column-- When I asked my service advisor he said he was going to change that to steering rack. OMG

I'm stumped, but I refuse to drive this thing like this. It's horrible when it's hot out there--the front end creeks, pops and sounds like it's ready to fall off. I feel it in the pedals and floor, too.

Will keep you posted. Open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by maverick
I am having the same issue. Started last summer , had car into dealer multiple times. Goes away in cooler weather, and now it's back! Called dealer, and Honda north America, no tsbs. In for a long annoying summer again. Any help out there?
So what did your dealer say? Did they hear the noise??

Old 06-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Car's Back...Latest Fix is a No Go

Ok, I left the car at the dealer since Memorial Day. They said they used the chasis 'ears' and detected a problem with the steering rack. It took time to get the part (so they say), and today I got it back. They said they drove it and could not reproduce the sound.

American Honda probably coughed up nearly $1000 for this fix. It didn't do the trick.

The Service Advisor is out tomorrow. I called Customer Relations and they are very cordial but don't have a whole lot of leverage over the dealer service area.

For me, I can appreciate that it's a real tough problem to diagnose and maybe fix. What I can't feel good about is that they've tried 3 or 4 times, and each time they say they've done it. They just aren't being thorough in retesting the car.

Argh.

The good news is that the bumpy power drivers seat was fixed under extended warranty. I just want that front end noise taken care of.

More to come. Has anyone experienced this before??

Lansing

Old 06-08-2012, 07:38 AM

you may try a different dealership, it sounds like they are just guessing now ( which may be all they can do )

Old 06-08-2012, 11:05 AM

Hi Lansing,
It seems that you are very patient to work with the dealer to find out the problem. I think the dealer said they cannot hear that sound because they are only drive the vehicle in their testing area for 1 or 2 round. At the time the car just start, it takes about 3 minutes to get that sound come up. I don't think it is a prob with the steering because that does not happen when the car is in stationary and the wheel is turned. Have you tried to talk to them about the calliper? Well, I remember my car got the sound when I sprayed the pressure water to clean the mag. My car is out of warranty now and I ll try to oil the calliper when sumer is back. Thank you for your updating and wish you have a happy ending for this hassle.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:34 PM

I have a 2005 v6 Accord with just over 100k miles doing something similar. Mine doesn't seem to bother me too much, may try to get it checked out next time I get it serviced. On another site, someone posted something (May 2011) that seemed to make good sense regarding possible brake pad movement inside the caliper:

"Did it just recently start... first thought would be brake pad movement in the caliper. The reason I say is because you hear it after backing up then going foward or vise versus, what happens in this case is the tab of the pad itself that sits inside the brake caliper has a very small amount of
slack in between it and the caliper mounting position..the pad is grabbing the rotor when forward or reverse and moving the full amount allowed in the caliper mount, then when you change directions and the brakes are applied the pad grabs and is moving toward the other end this time. hard to describe in words but I have worked for a Honda service dept for 8yrs and its a very common complaint from people and is usually described exactly as you stated. There is actually a honda service news that noted you can take a business card and stick a piece of it between the brake pad tab and the caliper area where normally you would put anti seize or brake pad grease and the noise will be eliminated for short time until the card eventually breaks down and disapates
**If you were to kneel down and look at your brakes fully mounted, the tab that is on both top and bottom of the pad is where the slack is, slide you a piece of a card in there on both inner and outter pads on the very top and bottom part of the tab, then test drive..hope this helps"

"Pop" sound during low speed braking - Page 2 - Honda-Tech

Quick Reply: Thumping/popping sound when braking slowly and on hot days