General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thumping/popping sound when braking slowly and on hot days

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Default Do I need to change my brake fluid at 15,0000 miles???

I was at the dealer recently with my '09 Accord V6 and the advisor told me I needed to have the brakes flushed and fluid changed. The car has only 19,500 miles. It seems at bit premature to do this.

Any advice??

PS. How do you post a new question on this website??
I see no place for new posts, only "reply."

Old 06-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Default How to post

Originally Posted by RAZORMAN
I was at the dealer recently with my '09 Accord V6 and the advisor told me I needed to have the brakes flushed and fluid changed. The car has only 19,500 miles. It seems at bit premature to do this.

Any advice??

PS. How do you post a new question on this website??
I see no place for new posts, only "reply."
Find the appropriate area for your thread and click New Thread. i.e. click "General Tech Help" at the top of the page for the area this post is in. Also consider checking out the new member area: New Member Area - Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Old 06-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Old 06-26-2012, 05:54 PM

FYI: I have an 09 Accord V6 sedan and since they replaced the front pads to control the ever famous brake squeal, my brakes make a shimmy/vibration when I brake hard. Took it to the dealer on two occasions, they said it was the anti-lock brakes and they couldn't do anything about it. Sounds suspicious.
Anyway, I'm just going to wait until I need new pads and get high quality pads put on by a local mechanic, NOT the dealer.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RAZORMAN
FYI: I have an 09 Accord V6 sedan and since they replaced the front pads to control the ever famous brake squeal, my brakes make a shimmy/vibration when I brake hard. Took it to the dealer on two occasions, they said it was the anti-lock brakes and they couldn't do anything about it. Sounds suspicious.
Anyway, I'm just going to wait until I need new pads and get high quality pads put on by a local mechanic, NOT the dealer.
Did the dealer resurface the rotors or replace them when they replaced the front pads?

It's usually are the rotors if you have shudder (e.g. shimmy/vibration) when braking hard.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Same problem here on my wife's 08' EX-L V6. It only happens when applying the brakes lightly at low speeds ad turning left every so slowly. I'm 90% sure it's the right inner CV joint on the axle shaft. In all the trips to the dealerships did they every check your CV's?? CV joints are known for popping just like ours sounds like. Even though the boots are good, the joint could be lacking grease or just be a faulty part. With my front end jacked up and the wheel turned to the right, I can spin the tire forward/reverse and see the inner CV move up and down (not normal). I may pack some extra grease in there w/ my grease guy and needle to see if the noise goes away. If it does, time to replace the shaft. If not I fear there may be something in the transmission where the shaft goes into the side of the transmission.
If you're still having issues, have them check the half shaft very well...not just look at the boots and say "yeah looks good".
I'll post back my findings.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Having said that, I read about the Civic w/ the same problem...now I'm remembering I just did a brake job a couple months ago and that is about when we started hearing this noise....my fingers are crossed!!
After reading more carefully, the piston hitting the brake pad is not my noise...Mine is clearly drivetrain related. My bad.

Last edited by 12guns; 06-26-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:32 PM

I have been lurking on this thread as I have the exact same issue described by Lansing on my '09 Accord. With the heat in Texas, the popping/thumping noise is now a daily irritant.

After my dealer could not pinpoint the cause, I took it to another Honda dealer. The service advisor said that I am the third person that has this issue. According to him the fix is to replace both front knuckles and berings - $1,400. He stated he has spoken with the Honda tech line and they are familiar with this issue.

Cannot comment on whether this is the silver bullet fix as I am going to get a quote from my neighborhood mechanic before I proceed with the repairs.

I wonder why no TSB??? Or recall for that matter. I have been very displeased with the reliability on this Honda, will be the last one we buy.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:13 PM

Has anyone figured out what the creaking , popping noise is during hot days? It's driving me crazy, and I can't drive the car anymore!

Old 07-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Default Still thumping/popping

I have the same exact noise on my well maintained, 2000 Accord w/v6...86k miles. Had front rotors turned and pads replaced at Honda dealer around 65k. Everything was quiet and well until the extended hot spell hit us about a month or so ago in Wisconsin. Dealer went thru the same procedure as many of you have described...everything on front end of car is "tight"...front brake pads are wearing evenly. The dealer has had front brakes apart a couple of times...found nothing out of place. After everything is reassebled the noise is gone for a short period...anywhere from 100 - 250 miles.

Seems to me this is heat related...this morning it was 69 degrees by us...no noise (for now) but I'm sure as it heats up today it will be right back. If it's really the brake pads moving around the underlying problem must be thermal in nature...parts expanding at different rates, lubricants not performing well at high temperatures. I fairly confident noise is being generated from front brakes since when you take assembly apart and then put back together the noise magically "disappears" for a short time.

Dealer said they would not start changing out parts at this time as brakes look good, but yet they can offer no reason for the thumping noise and why it goes away for short period of time after take-apart reassembly.

Dealer said they have found NO TSB's related to this noise. I no where I will get if I give Honda America a call...exactly nowhere !!

Seems there must be a ton of Accords running around with this noise...hard to believe other owners are not more concerned. I told dealer I find it hard to believe I'm the only Accord they have worked on with this noise.

I'm going to run this issue past another Honda dealer next week to see what they come up with.

Nothing like wasting time and money.

Like to hear everyone else's continuing saga trying to resolve this issue.

Quick Reply: Thumping/popping sound when braking slowly and on hot days