General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 10:26 PM
Default Timing belt

New here. I got a 96 accord ex 2.2 vtec. Im wanting to change the crankshaft pos. Sensor but i see that i have to take the timing belt loose. Its dried out so I'd like to replace it simce theres 236000 on the car and previous owner knows nothing about if it was ever replaced. Just looking for some helpful tips hints and or help in doing so. I used to be a general service tech but never messed with timing belts so this will be my first. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-21-2019, 02:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Vantheman
New here. I got a 96 accord ex 2.2 vtec. Im wanting to change the crankshaft pos. Sensor but i see that i have to take the timing belt loose. Its dried out so I'd like to replace it simce theres 236000 on the car and previous owner knows nothing about if it was ever replaced. Just looking for some helpful tips hints and or help in doing so. I used to be a general service tech but never messed with timing belts so this will be my first. Thanks in advance!
I'd get the timing belt water pump kit from Rock Auto. It'll have everything you need, along with a very good set of instructions. Make sure your car has either VTEC, or is a non-VTEC engine, as the belts are different. You'll need to rent a Honda crank pulley tool to hold it in place (you'd need it if you were just changing the sensors too) while you remove the crank pulley bolt. It's supposed to be torqued up to 150 ftlbs, but someone may have added some loctite to the threads. You'll also want to get the balance shaft seal retainer kit (5 bucks) and a valve cover gasket set, since you'll have the cover off. I'd probably do a set of plugs while I'm in there, unless you know the mileage since they were last done.
I hope this helps.