General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt Kit For 1996 Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 04:13 PM
Post Timing Belt Kit For 1996 Accord LX

I'm looking to buy a complete OEM timing belt kit for my car.

What are the items needed besides the timing belt and water pump, and how much am I looking at dollar-wise using Honda parts?

BTW, I didn't ask for Honda parts when the belt was last changed in 2005. I've always thought the engine was somewhat louder after the new belt was installed, therefore I'm willing to spend extra for Honda parts.

Rob

Old 06-24-2015, 03:06 PM

Honda does not sell a kit. I have done hundreds of T-belts on that generation. Here is what I recommend, cam seal, balancer shaft seal, crank seal if it has never been done, new lower t-belt cover as they always crack with age, T-belt, balancer belt, water pump and new boots for the lower cover. In addition the two drive belts. If you are keeping the car until is rusts out and plan on driving it until the T-belt is due don't mess around. I don't mess around when I do them and the next time the belt is due you should only have to replace the T-belt, water pump and drive belts. I will do the seals every other belt job unless there is some other reason.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Turtlehead
Honda does not sell a kit. I have done hundreds of T-belts on that generation. Here is what I recommend, cam seal, balancer shaft seal, crank seal if it has never been done, new lower t-belt cover as they always crack with age, T-belt, balancer belt, water pump and new boots for the lower cover. In addition the two drive belts. If you are keeping the car until is rusts out and plan on driving it until the T-belt is due don't mess around. I don't mess around when I do them and the next time the belt is due you should only have to replace the T-belt, water pump and drive belts. I will do the seals every other belt job unless there is some other reason.
Questions:

1 - I presume these parts should be Honda OEM.

2 - Could you clarify "If you are keeping the car until is rusts out and plan on driving it until the T-belt is due don't mess around."

"Don't mess around" meaning this is what should be done and don't skimp?

3 - I have the paperwork from 2005, will try to ascertain if crank seal was replaced. If it was replaced, skip this time around?

Thanks,

Rob

Old 06-25-2015, 05:39 AM

Essentially if you are planning on keeping the car do the seals and the next time you have to do the belt you should not have to do them. If crank seal was replaced you should be fine this time around. I only use Honda parts but if you located genuine OEM for the water pump and use Honda belts you should be fine. Everyone has differing options on this subject but at the shop we don't mess around. If someone wants after market parts on a T-belt job we politely tell them they need to take the car elsewhere.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Turtlehead
Essentially if you are planning on keeping the car do the seals and the next time you have to do the belt you should not have to do them. If crank seal was replaced you should be fine this time around. I only use Honda parts but if you located genuine OEM for the water pump and use Honda belts you should be fine. Everyone has differing options on this subject but at the shop we don't mess around. If someone wants after market parts on a T-belt job we politely tell them they need to take the car elsewhere.

Good to hear the quality of the shop's work comes before the $$.

I didn't realize "Honda Genuine OEM" parts not the same as "Honda" parts. Knowledge is power.

Question - I'm going to price the job, with the work you suggested, at a Honda dealer. Can you give me an approximate $ amount, so I have an idea if they're being outrageous?

Thanks again.

Rob