General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Default Timing belt kits

I am getting ready to do the timing belt on my 95 Accord Wagon. Are the kits such as this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...lenotsupported

on ebay good enough. I really don't want to use Honda stuff and pay for the name. Just wonderin if anyone had any experience with them. Thanks

Old 07-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I've used similar kits w/o problems. There is a sticky post on "Timing Belt Tensioner Warning" you should read. It also discusses a problem w/ tensioners from aftermarket source. However, no one else has reported similar problems, and I suspect wrong tensioner was accidentally shipped.

I would suggest inspecting the camshaft, forward balance shaft, and crankshaft seals and leaving them alone if they don't show any evidence of leaks. There is no specified maintenance interval on these seals. Sometimes what's working should be left as-is.

Be sure and download the 94-97 Accord manual, if you don't have a Honda shop manual.

Good Luck

Old 07-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Default Timing Belt Tensioner Warning

Hello

I too am getting ready to do the timing belt on my Accord 98. Also, I am new to this forum. Could you tell me where to find the sticky post on "Timing Belt Tensioner Warning"?

My second question has to do with Honda Holder Handle 07JAB-001020A and the Holder Attachment 50mm Offset 07MAB-PY3010A. Are these absolutely necessary for taking the crankshaft pulley off? I can probably use an impact wrench to take the crankshaft bolt off but putting it back on torqued would I not need some means of keeping the pully from turning? Any idea what's the best way to do that? BTW, is it not correct that the crankshaft bolt comes off counter clockwise?

I have the Accord Service manual 1998-2002 but I would be garteful if you could point me to additional source for possible detailed or any instructions regarding the timing belt replacement, dos and donts, etc. My serach on the subject within the forum has been somewhat limited.

TIA

Alfi

Old 07-29-2009, 12:08 PM

It's a sticky post at the top of this forum; General Tech Help.

Crankshaft bolt removal can use an air impact wrench w/ impact socket (no extension). This will usually work, but not always. It may take quite a bit of pounding to break the bolt loose. If you have access to an acetylene torch, heat the bolt head for 15-20 secs to ease removal. A good air impact wrench (400-500 ft-lbs capacity) is essential to have best chance for air impact to work. Bolt removal is normal CCW rotation.

Bolt installation can use air impact, however this is not recommended in any manuals. I always install w/ a 150 ft-lb torque wrench, and estimate the final increment to 180 ft-lbs. To do this requires the restraint tool and an additional 1/2" breaker bar. Tool can be purchased reasonably on ebay.

There's a good video on doing timing belt on late model accord on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmasxgJdXJ8

I have a pdf file w/ some guidance on doing timing belt job on Accords. PM your email address to me and I'll send it along.

good luck

Old 07-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I bought the tool for $25 shipped on Amazon, it's a good tool, but you'll need a second breaker bar to use it.

I also tried an impact with no luck, it was a Husky PRO 1/2" drive rated for 650 lb.ft.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:56 PM

The youtube video link has some good tips on breaking the crankshaft bolt loose w/ air impact wrench.

good luck

Old 07-30-2009, 07:17 AM
Default Timinin Belt Tool removal from Amazon

finch13, the avatar you use in your posts makes me laugh everytime! I feel like doing that sometimes when I speak to my beloved spouse.

What is the description of the tool you purchased from Amazon shipped for 25?

Thanks

Alfi