General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt slipped

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 02:51 PM
BDN54
Unregistered
Default Timing belt slipped

I found my hard start problem-it was the timing belt. It seemed to most likely have happened after my daughter parked the car (85 accord)then tried to restart later. The rotor is pointed at #4 termainal, at TDC.. It looks pretty straight forward to replace, but what's the best way to check valve condition-a compression test now or after the install?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Old 07-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Default RE: Timing belt slipped

After the install. I had my timing belt slip and it damaged all of my intake valves and 1 exhaust valve. Needless to say I had to have the head rebuilt. But, after i reinstalled the belt after it slipped the car still ran but the damage was done. Hope this helps.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

It is better to check your Crank/Cam timing by removing the top timing cover and looking at the marks, then look at the crank marks. You might just be at #4 TDC.
Did you actually see stripped teeth on the T-belt?

Check BEFORE the T-belt replacement.
Turn the crank to TDC then 1/4 turn counterclockwise, this puts all the pistons 1/2way upin the cylinders, the valves can't hit the pistons.
Then take the T-belt off, just cut it loose.
Now you can get a wrench on the cam, turn the cam back to it's TDC, then remove all the spark plugs, blow about 20-40 PSI of air into the cylinder thru the plug hole[remove the valve core from a compression test tube] If you hear air going into the exhaust or intake there is a bent valve.
Turn the cam so that the cam lobes ateach cylinderare at 4 'O' Clock and 7 'O' clock position.. That means the valves are closed.
Blow air into each cylinder as you close the valves.
It would be flat out stupid to install a belt and then have to go back and do all the work again if there is a bent valve, unless of course you just love doing the same job twice.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:03 PM
BDN54
Unregistered

Thanks, Hondadude! This sounds like an easy test. I found a shop manual for the car,but it lacks some of the basic procedures for shadetree mechanics like me...[X(]

Old 07-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Just a suggestion for Hondadude's procedure...

When you put the pistons at mid-stroke, find some way to lock the crankshaft in position. If you have a crank-holding tool, use that.

When you put compressed air in the cylinder, it will push down on the piston & spin the crank. Two pistons go down and 2 go UP. Those 2 goiing up might just hittheir valves. (Depending on the camshaft position.)