General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt / Valve Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Default Timing Belt / Valve Adjustment

I have a 1997 honda accord lx coupe that I want to keep going as a winter vehicle fora few years. It has never had a valve adjustment or timing belt changed. I am wondering when these are supposed to be done and how difficult it is.

I did search and found the process for adjusting the valves but it doesnt seem like something I'd feel comfortable doing. Also, ive notived oil in my spark plug tube and heard it could be due to a valve cover gasket leak? Not to mention, my CV boot is damaged and I have no clue how to do that on my own either.

Should I perform these tasks to prolong engine/vehicle life? On my own, or by a mechanic?The car has 146k on it.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Timing Belt / Valve Adjustment

you are on borrowed time,, do the t-belt ASAP , if you do not feel comfortable doing the job then have a shop do it ...and have them adjust the valves at the same time ,,
As for the oil in the spark plug tubes , it is NOT the valve cover gasket leaking that causes the problem,, it is either the upper spark plug tube seals OR the lower rocker arm seals,, or both
Same goes for the cv boot,, if you have no tools and DO NOT feel comfortable doing any of these jobs , have a shop do it
Use a shop that specializes on HONDAS or the Honda dealer ,,
I would not reccomend the local do it all garage ( pep boys, brake max etc,, etc ,,)
if you decide to do the work yourself, there are write ups on our DIY section to help you out , and OF COURSE the help of all the members here at HAF..

Old 03-27-2007, 10:28 PM

Thank you for the help, I will schedule an appt tomorrow.

Also, is there anyway to check a transmission control unit for problems even if i dont have a check engine light on?

I know on some vehicles, you can short a connection under the dash and pull error codes. Possible on a 97 accord?

Old 03-28-2007, 01:41 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if tranny is shifting ok i would not even bother with it,, Just make sure to replace the tranny fluid no later than 30k miles and make sure to use Honda ATF-Z1 fluid ,,
but if you want to chk for codes go to the local autozone and they can read it for codes free of charge .