General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing belt /water pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Default timing belt /water pump

Just wondering if a Dayton brand timing belt & water pump would hold up for a 95 accord. I don't want to go through all the trouble to find out they are junk from advance auto.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I've used Dayton belts before w/o problems. No idea where they are made, but most likely China.

good luck

Old 09-05-2011, 08:25 PM

the only time i have had my timing belt/water pump done was at the dealer because i didn't want to mess anything up by tackling it myself. for he most part i haven't had any problems with aftermarket parts from Advance. they have gotten a lot of my money for a variety of different parts. the only aftermarket part that doesn't work on Honda's is the PCV valve. that you have to buy from Honda.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

What is the difference between the Honda PCV valve and an aftermarket one? I tried to get an OEM from Honda, but it was an order in part, so I put in one from AutoZone.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:10 PM

i don't know what the difference is but i tested the aftermarket one to see if it was working and it wasn't so i took it back and got a Honda one.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Considering the amount of labor & cost involved in this, I would not take the risk of having aftermarket parts involved. I am sure that the difference in cost from factory Honda parts is minimal...I would be really upset if I tried to save a few bucks only to have a premature failure or fitment problems with the aftermarket parts. Even if you are doing this repair yourself, it would still be an enormous disappointment should an issue arise.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Bigpat is on the trolley with this one- the price disparity between so-called OEM-quality after market parts and OEM parts is negligible to the point where it is almost not worth the assumed risk that one takes when they order and install after market parts in their Accords.

Consider that a PCV valve for a 2000 Accord EX costs about $19 from the dealer, $14 from OEM Honda parts sites and a sneeze under $10 for an after market one from your local auto parts store. Indeed you would save $5-10 or so by going down the after market route but the quality control is oft times not as stringent on after market parts as it is on OEM parts. I too have purchased after market parts (an o2 sensor to be exact) simply as a means to save a buck or two but have been stung by shoddy build quality a year or so down the line when the part prematurely brakes..

Just adding my .25 cents here

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-20-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: removed live selling link
Old 09-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Just to add a comment...These are both critical parts which can lead to a lot of damage and expense should there be a failure. I have had some good, but mostly bad luck with aftermarket parts. I have learned my lesson and will only use factory Honda parts. You definitely are going to get what you pay for in terms of quality and correct fitment and function.