General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default RE: Tire Question

Just an update on the Toyo Versado's: they have a very "soft" and "cushy" ride, however, they grip well on dry andwet pavement. I seem to have lost the tighter, sportier feel that I had before with the OEM Michelins. The Versado is marketed to the "luxury" segment versus the "sport" segment. My suggestion for anyone looking at Toyos, is as Paralyse stated, go with the Proxes 4. That tire will give a more "sporty" feel.

Rob C
2003 Accord LX, 4-cyl., AT

Old 09-14-2007, 01:31 PM

ORIGINAL: doug4321

What do you guys think of Bridgestone Turanza EL41 tires.I have an 05 EXL V6 Coupe.I have these tires on now and want to get your opinions,before replacing the tires.
Stay away from Potenzas. I put some on last year and they are noisy and reduced my gas mileage!

Old 09-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

I've got Potenza RE011 tires on my Saabaru.
I've had Turanza EL400 tires a few years ago on another Saab.
Both Bridgestone, but they're at opposite ends of the performance/comfort spectrum. About as different from each other as anything you could imagine.

And I've got Potenza RE950 tires on the 2001 Saab. They really seem closer to the Turanza & not at all like the RE011s. Just be aware that different tires from the samecompany can be way different from each other.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:03 PM

I don't know if they are looked down upon, but I'm on my 2nd set of Kumho Solus KH16 tires and I dig em'. I'm only runnin' 15's right tnow so the rubber is only 60 series, therefore I would say they're really sporty I guess. But they wear well and ride smooth. We just took a set of Toyo's off my g/f's 01' Accord that wore very poorly. I don't remember which Toyo's they were though. Anyone got any feed back on Kumho tires?

Old 09-14-2007, 09:14 PM
TheWays
Unregistered

- Yokohama YK520s are a great all season tire - ideal for the grocery grabber. Their new Advan line is very sporty and high performance oriented, yet to be proven.
- I don't much care for Nitto/Toyo's, nothing really against them, they just never really stand out as great or "the best" at any job that a tire is meant to perform.
- Michelins are great, but their specialty tire department is somewhat overpriced for what it delivers I think. They used to be the cats pajamas as far as performance and comfort, but alot of other manufacturers have upped their products to be very competitive. Still the most reliable tire built on Earth.
- The new Bridgestone Potenza RE960 Pole Positions are pretty badBUTT as far as a performance tire. Turanza with serenity isn't bad, but hasn't really been around long enough to prove its benefits.
- "Good-for-a-year"s and Kelly Springfield are a pure horse manure, I can't believe how much they claim or charge for their POOP. Most unreliable tire on the market.
- Pirelli's and Falkens fall in line behind Nitto/Toyo, not bad but not great.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:29 PM

Michelins run the gambit.

You can get their OEM level crap which aint all that, but then you can get stuff like the Pilot Exalto which just rule! Funny thing is they arent that far off in price. The higher end Michelins are the best performing tire but you pay for it.

Goodyear's blow dog. Id never own anything from them.

The ones I like are the Kumho Solus KH16 mentioned above. Theyre about half the price as the upper level Michelin and Bridgestones but perform almost as well. Consumer Reports rates them pretty highly.

You can get a set of 4 195/65/15's mounted for about $300 at Sears. Not too shabby.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:48 PM

That's good info. to hear about the Kumho's. I get them here in NV. at a Kelly Tires for about $300. I'd recomend them. As far as there low pros go, any info on those?