General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

tire rotation question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Default tire rotation question

Hello, I have tried to keep my tires at the recommended pressure of 44 psi for the two in front and 35 for the two in back. I recently thought of maint I had not done yet: tire rotation. Most guides I found online had put most precedence in the rotation of the front tires to the back and vice-versa, but is this supposed to be done if the tires are of different pressures?

thanks.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Honda's recommended tire pressure for the DX trim for normal driving is 32 psi for front and rear, as shown in the owner's manual and should be on the door jamb sticker.

Honda only recommends different front and rear tire pressures for V6 trim levels in that generation Accords.

If you're going by some other recommended tire pressures, then when you rotate them, then just change the tire pressures.

You can also get a tire depth gauge to compare the thread left to help determine when to rotate tires. Generally, the fronts will wear faster.

Attached Thumbnails tire rotation question-recommended-tire-pressures.jpg  
Old 07-26-2013, 07:57 PM

thanks for the reply. I actually got the pressures from the sidewall of the tires themselves, so I guess the previous owner has put on some weird combination with the front tires being slightly bigger then the rear ones. (I have notices no problems related to this, however.) I guess I will just wait until I can buy a new set...

Old 07-27-2013, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Redbull already posted the OE tire pressure.

I think what you are seeing on the tire is the MAX psi for the tire. I would reduce the pressure to the OE tire pressure.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb Hi Members

Originally Posted by poorman212
Redbull already posted the OE tire pressure.

I think what you are seeing on the tire is the MAX psi for the tire. I would reduce the pressure to the OE tire pressure.
I 2nd this post from RedBull1..correct tire pressure 32 psi..

Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2013, 12:22 PM

This is a little confusing for a newbie. It seems to me like the recommended pressure for the tires from the tire manufacturer would have more merit then the recommendation from the car manufacturer. The previous owner has seemingly put on two different types of tires with maximum pressures of 35 and 44. To me, logically it would seem that If i lower both of these to 32, one would be more "flat" then the other, if you get my meaning. Can anyone explain why this assumption is wrong?

Old 07-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

That is the tire manufacturer’s Max pressure rating, not the recommended tire pressure rating for your specific car. Generally, tires are made for and can be used on various and different makes of cars, which may have different weight, suspension, etc. There is no one recommended tire pressure that would be the same as every car makers’ recommended tire pressure for their specific car.

If you used the same tire inflation pressure on different cars and makes, each car will have different ride and handling qualities, roll resistance, etc. due to the weight difference, suspension design, etc. The car manufacturer’s recommended tire pressures are what they have determined to better suit the vehicle and driving conditions. Even Honda has different recommended tire inflation pressures for normal driving vs. high speed driving.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=33

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=21

Assuming the two different brands of tires on your car are the same size and correct for your car, adjusting the tire pressure to Honda's recommended tire pressure may make the front tires look lower than the rear (due to weight of the engine on the front). However, the visual appearance of the tires will not have a detrimental effect.