General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires & Seafoam - 09 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

The only good use of Seafoam I've ever heard of is to generate lots of exhaust smoke to aid in finding an exhaust leak.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:56 PM

Firestone passenger tires for cars are loud! Makes you think you have a bad wheel bearing(s).Take them back and explain to them that you don't like them. Maybe they will exchange them for a different model/brand.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by djkurious
Firestone passenger tires for cars are loud! Makes you think you have a bad wheel bearing(s).Take them back and explain to them that you don't like them. Maybe they will exchange them for a different model/brand.
I'm glad someone has experience with them because I've been going completely nuts with them. Anytime I get on the highway not only is there already a lot of noise to being with, there's a loud humming sound coming from one of the tires. At first I thought I was screwed and I needed to spend a load of money to fix a bearing, luckily it's just the tire.

I'm gonna call up Firestone and see what I can do. I'm buying new tires ASAP and will probably just sell these on Craigslist.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ovukelj
I'm glad someone has experience with them because I've been going completely nuts with them. Anytime I get on the highway not only is there already a lot of noise to being with, there's a loud humming sound coming from one of the tires. At first I thought I was screwed and I needed to spend a load of money to fix a bearing, luckily it's just the tire.

I'm gonna call up Firestone and see what I can do. I'm buying new tires ASAP and will probably just sell these on Craigslist.
While it is certainly possible for the source of the noise to be the tires, it is also very possible the issue is in fact a bad bearing.

Have you tried rotating the tires and see if the noise follows the tires?

Old 05-27-2014, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
While it is certainly possible for the source of the noise to be the tires, it is also very possible the issue is in fact a bad bearing.

Have you tried rotating the tires and see if the noise follows the tires?
The noise started happening a few hundred miles after the tires were put on the car so I'd be surprised if it was a bad bearing. I've also ruled that out since the mechanics checked and I both checked and everything was fine. It's hard to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from but I'm pretty sure it's the tires.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:08 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I too thought that rear wheel bearings going to be on my "to do" list. But once I got the nearly new Ultra Tour tires off the back things quieted down dramatically.
See this thread.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...oodyear-59011/

Old 05-27-2014, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ovukelj
The noise started happening a few hundred miles after the tires were put on the car so I'd be surprised if it was a bad bearing. I've also ruled that out since the mechanics checked and I both checked and everything was fine. It's hard to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from but I'm pretty sure it's the tires.
I had new tires put on my Accord in late February, and almost immediately I noticed a new noise. As I was leaving on a 2,500 mile road trip almost immediately after the new tires were mounted I didn't have time to diagnose the issue and just chalked it up to new tires not yet broken in. When I got back home the noise had subsided a bit but was still there; turned out to be a bad wheel bearing. The working theory (lacking anything more concrete) is that the jostling of the hub during the tire change (coupled with the use of an impact wrench to put the lug nuts back on) pushed the hub over the edge.

With the new hub in place, the car is as quiet as ever.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:42 PM

I have been using Seafoam for years in my car, bike and lawnmower. Those engines consistently run better and my gas mileage improves after use. No hard research to provide, just my opinion.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
I had new tires put on my Accord in late February, and almost immediately I noticed a new noise. As I was leaving on a 2,500 mile road trip almost immediately after the new tires were mounted I didn't have time to diagnose the issue and just chalked it up to new tires not yet broken in. When I got back home the noise had subsided a bit but was still there; turned out to be a bad wheel bearing. The working theory (lacking anything more concrete) is that the jostling of the hub during the tire change (coupled with the use of an impact wrench to put the lug nuts back on) pushed the hub over the edge.

With the new hub in place, the car is as quiet as ever.
How much did something like that cost? That's a complete possibility.

Originally Posted by fvansan
I have been using Seafoam for years in my car, bike and lawnmower. Those engines consistently run better and my gas mileage improves after use. No hard research to provide, just my opinion.
Amen.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fvansan
Anything with a carburetor I *might* believe, any claims about cars with modern fuel injection I am highly skeptical.

I'm curious, by what mechanism do you believe it is possible for a fuel system cleaner to improve fuel economy in a modern fuel injected car?

Last edited by shipo; 05-27-2014 at 09:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Tires & Seafoam - 09 Accord