General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires & Seafoam - 09 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ovukelj
How much did something like that cost? That's a complete possibility.
It seems to me the new rear hub was in the $160-$175 range (the front hub is cheaper as is the rear hub if you have rear drum brakes).

Old 05-27-2014, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
It seems to me the new rear hub was in the $160-$175 range (the front hub is cheaper as is the rear hub if you have rear drum brakes).
I'm just hoping I don't have to do that. I bought my Accord used and I've already spent thousands of dollars on minor repairs that really start to add up.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

I'm just hoping I don't have to do that. I bought my Accord used and I've already spent thousands of dollars on minor repairs that really start to add up.
How many miles are on your Accord? A 2009 model with moderate mileage would probably not be a candidate for hubs just yet; three of the original four hubs are still on my 2001 Accord which has nearly 150,000 miles on the clock.

Long story short, I'm now talking myself out of thinking you have a wheel bearing issue.

If you do get your tire store to swap out your tires, the thread linked by MysticBlueEX has some good suggestions for tires, I have the Michelins on my Accord and the Pirellis on my wife's GTI; both tires have great traction and are nice and quiet.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:29 PM

How many miles are on your Accord? A 2009 model with moderate mileage would probably not be a candidate for hubs just yet; three of the original four hubs are still on my 2001 Accord which has nearly 150,000 miles on the clock.

Long story short, I'm now talking myself out of thinking you have a wheel bearing issue.

If you do get your tire store to swap out your tires, the thread linked by MysticBlueEX has some good suggestions for tires, I have the Michelins on my Accord and the Pirellis on my wife's GTI; both tires have great traction and are nice and quiet.
I'm almost at 85,000 which is quite a bit for a 2009. Then again I fail to realize that it's almost 5 years now since then... time flies.

I've agreed on that myself a while back, mainly for my own sanity.

The problem is that even though I know there are a LOT of great brands out there, I'm limited to a few brands because of a buy 3 get one free tire sale at STS. 4 new tires mounted and balanced for $400 flat. They're Federals or something like that. I'm still debating whether to do that but with the funds I'm willing to spend on tires at the moment.... it might be the best I can do.

Michelin will come when I finally buy that GTR.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:12 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Tires. I was hunting around hoping to get to $300+ installation for 4 tires. A local shop had Black Lion tires for $88 installed, but was I was looking for a better "Brand Name" tire. Found the Pirelli tires for $375 shipped to my house, and had them installed at the Honda dealer for $100.
I could have pinched it a little more than I did, I was about $75 or so over lowest prices, but I am quite satisfied with the purchase.
I also expect the Honda dealer not to slam the wheels on with an impact wrench as the local shop does. I assume they torque them properly.
Tire Rack has the Pirelli tires for $336 after rebate.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by MysticBlueEX
Tires. I was hunting around hoping to get to $300+ installation for 4 tires. A local shop had Black Lion tires for $88 installed, but was I was looking for a better "Brand Name" tire. Found the Pirelli tires for $375 shipped to my house, and had them installed at the Honda dealer for $100.
I could have pinched it a little more than I did, I was about $75 or so over lowest prices, but I am quite satisfied with the purchase.
I also expect the Honda dealer not to slam the wheels on with an impact wrench as the local shop does. I assume they torque them properly.
Tire Rack has the Pirelli tires for $336 after rebate.
You got a good deal there but I'm in more of an emergency then anything. Although Federal isn't a brand name (for all intents and purposes) tire, I think the deal I'm getting is pretty solid.

What's wrong with using an impact wrench to put on lug nuts? Almost all mechanic shops I've been to use it to quickly take wheels on and off. They use a low powered setting too (I asked out of curiosity).

Old 05-29-2014, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

You got a good deal there but I'm in more of an emergency then anything. Although Federal isn't a brand name (for all intents and purposes) tire, I think the deal I'm getting is pretty solid.

What's wrong with using an impact wrench to put on lug nuts? Almost all mechanic shops I've been to use it to quickly take wheels on and off. They use a low powered setting too (I asked out of curiosity).
An impact wrench to take the wheels off is no big deal; using an impact wrench to put them back on is a very big deal in that the intermittent slamming action while torquing the lug nuts/bolts can (and often does) cause warping on brake rotors and damage to relatively "soft" alloy wheels.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:46 PM

An impact wrench to take the wheels off is no big deal; using an impact wrench to put them back on is a very big deal in that the intermittent slamming action while torquing the lug nuts/bolts can (and often does) cause warping on brake rotors and damage to relatively "soft" alloy wheels.
Guess who's never going to that shop again? Me!

Update. I just called Firestone and they offered me a 75% total discount off 4 new tires (not including mounting and balancing which is a rough 50$ total at the service center, so I can't complain). After discussing options with the very kind woman on the phone, I've decided on Bridgestone Ecopia's since A: Bridgestone is apparently very quiet, B: The tire has amazing reviews and C: fits my standards of what I need for my car. Apparently Wide Oval are an Ultra Performance tire, which isn't what I needed at all.

Final question: I've basically been debating whether to get H or V speed rated tires. H is 130 MPH and V is 149 MPH I believe, but I doubt I'll ever even hit 130 anyways. Does anyone know what the factory speed rated tires are for an 09 Accord LX? I'm pretty sure I'll be perfectly fine with H but I just want to be sure.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Guess who's never going to that shop again? Me!

Update. I just called Firestone and they offered me a 75% total discount off 4 new tires (not including mounting and balancing which is a rough 50$ total at the service center, so I can't complain). After discussing options with the very kind woman on the phone, I've decided on Bridgestone Ecopia's since A: Bridgestone is apparently very quiet, B: The tire has amazing reviews and C: fits my standards of what I need for my car. Apparently Wide Oval are an Ultra Performance tire, which isn't what I needed at all.

Final question: I've basically been debating whether to get H or V speed rated tires. H is 130 MPH and V is 149 MPH I believe, but I doubt I'll ever even hit 130 anyways. Does anyone know what the factory speed rated tires are for an 09 Accord LX? I'm pretty sure I'll be perfectly fine with H but I just want to be sure.
The stock speed rating for tires on your car was "H", a speed your car may not be capable of even reaching. If I'm not mistaken, your car is governed to never exceed 118 mph; can't remember where I read that so don't take it as gospel.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:36 PM

Here is my take on seafoam. For cleaning injectors, not sure. As shipo said, most decent gas stations have plenty of additives that "should" do the same job.

Seafoam as an intake/cylinderhead/valve cleaner, different story. It does do a good job removing carbon deposits, which will hinder performance. The thing is, it won't do that if you put it in the tank. It has to be poured into the intake stream.

I'm curious, by what mechanism do you believe it is possible for a fuel system cleaner to improve fuel economy in a modern fuel injected car?
To this question, clean injectors do effect performance and fuel economy. If the injector is dirty, it can disturb the spray pattern leading to incomplete combustion due to a lean condition. The ECU then compensates by leaving the injectors open longer thinking that will solve the problem, and you then get a rich condition. The constant struggle generally leads to higher fuel consumption. More info here Troubleshooting and Cleaning Dirty Injectors

I will not say that seafoam will address this issue (nor am I saying it won't), but there is validity to it being a real problem.

Quick Reply: Tires & Seafoam - 09 Accord