General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touchscreen apps

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 09:59 AM
Default Touchscreen apps

Hello,

I have a 2017 Honda Accord ex-l v6 2 door coupe no navigation. On home menus has a home screen and 4 blank pages where you can add apps and widgets. When I try to add an app, there are very few to select from and no widgets installed. I am having a problem figuring out how to add apps and widgets. If I try to download some from the browser, I get an error message stating that the browser doesn't support that function. How do I download and add new apps and widgets to the blank pages?

Old 10-31-2016, 04:59 PM

Sounds similar to the issue I have with my '16 Accord Coupe (no Navi) running Android 4.4.2, and posted elsewhere on this forum.

Are you using a cell phone as WiFi hotspot, connecting to cell phone via Bluetooth or USB, or connecting the car directly to a WiFi network?

I can't install anything on my car when it's connected directly to my home's secure WiFi network (parked in my garage). Caveat: I haven't tried using a cell phone to install anything.

I get error that the browser is not supported but the link offered to update it doesn't work.

It turns out, at least on my car, Honda never installed the Google Play app. Without that app you can't download anything from the Google Play store, which is the safe place to get Android apps. Even if I type the URL for whichever app I want from Google Play store directly into the browser, it doesn't work.

There are geeky ways to "side-load" the Google Play app directly from a USB stick. In my case, the car recognizes and attempts to install the app. The first screen asks if I want to give Google Play a whole list of permissions (2 screens full), but when I get to the end of the list, the only button available is "Cancel"; "Next" is grayed out so there's no way to accept the list of permissions, and the app doesn't get installed.

My dealer's e-tech played around with it for 3 days and he wasn't able to find a solution either. I called Honda tech support, and they admitted (sort of! ) that this is a "work in progress" and they haven't provided software to download/install apps onto the car's system.

It appears Honda assumes everybody will use apps directly on their cell phone and not try to install/run them from the car, independently of a phone.

The Honda rep I spoke to said they'd have to do a software update to make it work. I'm not holding my breath...

Interestingly, when I touch Search on the list of Apps, it opens a Google search page where I can search for anything. I downloaded the pdf version of my user manual from Honda's site onto the car, but there's no way to open it because I can't install a pdf reader app from Google Play or by trying to side-load it from USB stick. DUH!

If you or anybody else comes up with a solution, I'd appreciate reading about it!