Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   tranny saying bye bye?? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/tranny-saying-bye-bye-5730/)

evs 10-31-2006 08:23 PM

tranny saying bye bye??

Ok, so the car is running normal this morning and i go to work. When its time for me to leave i get in my car, i stand there for like 5 minutes and then left. the car shifted 1-3 normally but when it got to 4 it jerked slightly and i let of the gas, when i went on the gas again i felt like the car was on neutral so i thought i lost 4th and stopped. After cheking all gears where engaging i took off y D3 on when i was on the highway decided to get back to 4th, the only thing i think i felt was that in 4th gear i had to rev the car more to get more speed.... BTW it didnt do the jerking again in 4th gear, it shifted what i belive normally.

Is she saying farewell or just playing games with me??

sir_nasty 10-31-2006 08:40 PM

RE: tranny saying bye bye??

if it's revving and not picking up speed consistent with how it normally operates then your tranny might be slipping... however, first we need to know the year/make/tranny type...

evs 10-31-2006 08:45 PM

yeah thats what i think that its slipping but i just feel it in 4th... the car is Accord 99 coupe V6 automatic..

sir_nasty 10-31-2006 08:58 PM

the first thing I'd do is check your tranny fluid, smell it also and see if it's smells burned or hot, if it does then chances are you got a situation brewing, if not then inspect it for color and perhaps just a fluid change would help

evs 10-31-2006 09:05 PM

my tranny fluid was changed the 10 of this month

evs 10-31-2006 09:17 PM

do you think lucas tranny fix can do the job??

YeuEmMaiMai 10-31-2006 09:22 PM

ORIGINAL: evs

yeah thats what i think that its slipping but i just feel it in 4th... the car is Accord 99 coupe V6 automatic..

It's the trans going bye bye......replace it when it dies (which will be soon) do NOT REBUILD IT

sir_nasty 10-31-2006 09:26 PM

that's why this situation looks familiar.... yeuem had some MASSIVE issues with his tranny and a rebuild shop just a few months ago.... but I would still check your fluid smell/look to confirm everything...

evs 10-31-2006 09:33 PM

fluid has a faint smell that does not resemble to burnt smell... the fluid is a transparent cherry.

What do you guys say about the lucas trans fix, should i try it?

YeuEmMaiMai 10-31-2006 10:42 PM

the ONLY thing I would use is LUBE GUARD for imports........but I seriously doubt that it will fix the issue....

how long have you owned the car?
How many miles on your car?
Do you have complete maint records? THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART

If you are well under 100K I would take it to the Honda dealer and ask them to diag it. Pay them the $80 or whatever. If they say new trans, I would call Honda of America and ask them if they can offer some assistance on the car...

HOA may say one of the following

1. You are completely covered
2. Honda will pay for XXXX and you pay for YYY
3. You pay for all of it.

I didn't get any assistance from HOA simply becuase the car quit moving while in route to the dealer and the closest REPUTABLE place (so I tought) was Kennedy Transmission. BIG MISTAKE. I should have paid the extra $1200 and got the unit replaced. I would still be driving it. Instead I decided to trade it in for a 2002 Acura CL type S after my trans died for the THIRD time and had to be rebuilt.

Sure the acura cost me 2X as much as my accord did but at least Acura as a company stands behind thier cars with some warranty on the trans until 100K. Chances of me buying another Accord are slim next to none.

evs 10-31-2006 11:20 PM

Ive owned the car for 3 months now and has close to 146000 miles. About the maintnance record i dont have any, i bought it in an auction... As soon as i bought the car oil and filter where changed, tranny fluid was changed a month later.

Ok so the car was parked for 2 hours after the incident and i decided to take it for a drive... no problem what so ever... whats up with him, could it be that the cars computer just went a little crazy...?

YeuEmMaiMai 11-01-2006 12:06 AM

it is going to get worse....it could take 10 miles it could go for a long time but once the transmission starts to act up, it usually goes fairly quickly.......i would change the fluid again and then drive it some more and change it again......who knows how many times it was changed before then.........

evs 11-01-2006 12:15 AM

yeah, maybe it has really dirty fluid in there, but when i changed it for the first time fluid on the dipstick was clean... i just changed it as a precaution. Now im going crazy thinking how im going to buy new tranny or even if its worth buying another car... the thing is that in that price range the only one that i seem to like is my honda. [&o]

YeuEmMaiMai 11-01-2006 01:59 AM

look into dr evil. complete trans for that car 3500 handles up to 500 hp, has lsd and everyone that has one swears by them.

MakoMan 11-01-2006 02:13 AM

Was the fluid change done with Honda ATF or some other brand ATF fluid?

evs 11-01-2006 11:19 AM

the change was done in a Honda dealership so i belive they used they're own product... About the tranny 3500 seems... too much, and why would i want i tranny that handles 500 when my car only has 200 and i will not mod it.... i just want one that keeps my car moving. For how much can i get one of those?

evs 11-01-2006 01:13 PM

Update... I took my car for a drive this morning and everything felt normal again... i tried reproducing what happened and it did. i accelerated slowly until the car shifted to 4th and let of the gas, then feathered the throttle and rpms moved form 1 almost to 2 but almost no speed increse the same thing that happened yesterday the only diffrence is that yesterday i felt the car shifting into 4th and me being paranoid with the tranny i automatically belived my tranny blew. So I guess it was no big deal, but why is that that when traveling like at 25-30 in 4th and let rpms drop and feather the gas again rpms move with almost no speed increase, if i let go and get on the gas again car starts accelerating....

But anyways... estimate price on a tranny that will keep me moving for lets say... 25,000 miles more?

ckebottle 11-01-2006 04:35 PM

I got a rebuilt tranny from a enginge/transmission place for 1050, place i bought the car from got me a deal. When I called to see how much it would cost for me to buy it personally it was 1450 after core. It comes with a 6 month unlimited mile warranty. I've had it in for just about a week now and it drives great no probs yet. Attarco has some used ones from japan pretty cheap with no more than 40k miles for about 950 ish. I think it's the same 6 month unlimited mile warranty too. Installation will range from 300-700 (at least in my area). It cost me 150 since the place I bought the car from helped me out there too. I think there might be a design difference between the japense and american made trannie sand it's the american ones that are going out(so i've heard/read).

I think there is a recall for 2000-2002 trannies. Can somebody verify this?

Welcome to the bye bye transmission club. Maybe we should start a support group? lol.

Anyways, good luck bro. I know how it feels man, it sucks, just gotta think once u get this done and timing belt/water pump you will be golden for a long long time. At least that's what I keep telling myself. = /

YeuEmMaiMai 11-01-2006 06:32 PM

ok here is the deal

a. everything is in miles and years 100K miles = approximately 160Kilometers

1998,99,02 accords are NOT COVERED under any extended warranty (unless you BOUGHT an extended warranty)

00-01 cars carry a 100K 7 year warranty provided the car has not been salvage titled at some point....if you are salvage titled do not read any further as you will NOT get any assistance.

if you have a 98,99 or 02 car you may try to get some goodwill assitance from Honda of America

keep these things in mind:

1. you MUST have COMPLETE service records indicating that you took care of your car
2. The closer you are to 100K the less likely they are to help you
3. These are the possible outcomes

a. Honda picks up the entire tab no cost to you (lower milage cars usually)
b. Honda pays for X, you pay for Y.
c. Honda denies claim

When you call them, you will need to tell them the following
a. VIN
b. What dealership services your car
c. Milage of car
d. at some point you will have to provide the maint records and if you have your car serviced at the dealer who is fixing it, they will give HOA all the required information from their system.

Be nice to them when you talk to them..

evs 11-02-2006 03:06 AM

Well thank you very much guys i appreciate it....

I know Honda will not pay a penny for my tranny because its way over 100k, i dont have all the services done to the car and im in a bad luck streak right now so i guess ill just have to buy a used tranny like ckebottle did and pray to god nothing else happens... But before doing this i just have to find 1000 plus and im al set.[:o]

YeuEmMaiMai 11-02-2006 02:12 PM

trust me on this one....DO NOT USE A USED TRANNY.... THEY ARE ALL JUNK. just save yourself the headache and replace the transmission with one from a honda dealer or DR evil (preferred route)

ckebottle 11-02-2006 08:42 PM

3500 (about) at honda for a remanufactured tranny + installation unless u you plan on doing it yourself. that's about half the value of the car right there. might as well start over and take a loss up front.

my buddy took his honda to a shop that specializes in honda and they rebuilt it for 2000 and he's got 30kish on the rebuild and has had no problems. his is a 99 v6 but 4 dr. i got about 2 weeks on this rebuilt one that i bought and it drives fine so far....only time will tell if it keeps going smooth. i drove on my busted tranny for about 1 1/2 months. maybe u can do the same and i can tell you how mine is doing down the road. best of luck dude! let me know which route you go.

sir_nasty 11-02-2006 08:54 PM

or just sell the car before that issue arises....

deserthonda 11-02-2006 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: YeuEmMaiMai

trust me on this one....DO NOT USE A USED TRANNY.... THEY ARE ALL JUNK. just save yourself the headache and replace the transmission with one from a honda dealer or DR evil (preferred route)
DO NOT buy the tranny from a Honda dealer too overpriced.......

www.hecreman.com 1-800-831-2223
i have bought trannies from these guys for the past 10 years and yet to have any issues with any trannies from them
Honda use to get their reman trannies from these guys a ferw years back

sir_nasty 11-02-2006 09:01 PM

with the problems we seem to be seeing maybe the would consider becoming a vendor?? Cut the guys not covered under the suit a break on their transmissions...?

evs 11-02-2006 09:10 PM

Well tomorrow morning im going to call the guys desert was talking about... on a happy note, the car didnt feel to bad today. i just hopes it holds up for a little more till i can get the money to buy another one!

Sir nasty thats a good way out selling the car but theres a thing, in that price range my car is the only one i like and... as soon as they test drive it they will feel something weird unless the guy buying it is a complete idiot.

sir_nasty 11-02-2006 09:14 PM

gotcha.... look at the off topic and general post sections... it would appear that a lawsuit that possibly involves your transmission has just surfaced, get your vin number and go to the website they list and perhaps you can get this covered

sir_nasty 11-02-2006 09:15 PM

here... be lazy I just found it *L*

http://www.hondatransmissionsettleme.../php/login.php

evs 11-02-2006 09:18 PM

already gave it a try... i tell you, no luck for me :(

YeuEmMaiMai 11-02-2006 11:15 PM

DH there is someone on HT that can get them for $1500 a pop....He works for a honda dealer.......

deserthonda 11-03-2006 12:04 AM

ORIGINAL: YeuEmMaiMai

DH there is someone on HT that can get them for $1500 a pop....He works for a honda dealer.......

that's a good deal.........where does he get them from ?? fully reman ?? how much warranty ??

ckebottle 11-03-2006 08:50 AM

might want to look here too

http://www.gear-speed.com/

evs 11-03-2006 01:30 PM

ckebottle thanks for the link, seems like a good way to go.

YeuEmMaiMai 11-03-2006 01:32 PM

it's been a while but he gets them straight from Honda. when I was having problems with my 98 after the rebuild, he offered one to me for $1500. I wanted to save that PM but H-T only keeps messages for a certain amt of time

evs 11-03-2006 01:38 PM

Ok... i called the place ckebottle posted and they say that for 2000$ i get one with one year warranty. 1500$ sound nicer to me..

evs 11-03-2006 01:40 PM

place that desert said to check out i called and they told me they cant give me a price because they dont sell them to general public, they only sell them to shops or dealers...

deserthonda 11-03-2006 02:19 PM

ORIGINAL: evs

place that desert said to check out i called and they told me they cant give me a price because they dont sell them to general public, they only sell them to shops or dealers...
i called them and my cost is $ 2075 .00.... 1 yr/12k miles waranty....I did not realize that they do not sell to the general public ,, sorry to have wasted your time .

sir_nasty 11-03-2006 02:24 PM

perhaps they would jump on and offer a deal for all the accord owners that are having problems?? We could use a good tranny sponsor/vendor....

YeuEmMaiMai 11-03-2006 02:28 PM

problem with most non honda rebuilt transmission is

1. most people really have no clue how to rebuild them
2. the warranty is too short 12mo/12K...kinda useless considering when the problems start to show up in the unit

I talked to a guy that retired a few years ago and he told me that there are too many different variations of this accord trans and they are very hard to get right.......

Up until this year honda was even having troubles with the rebuilds.....

evs 11-03-2006 02:30 PM

dont worry desert, it was a quick call!

Oh i wish they offered a deal to all those honda customers with bad trannys...