General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Trans neutraling when stopped

Old 04-04-2018, 10:47 AM
Default Trans neutraling when stopped

Hello,
We have a 99' Accord with 238k on the odometer. Wife was noticing a "Clunk" when coming to a stop but every time I would drive it the problem would not duplicate. Finally I was able to feel the problem and it was slipping into neutral just after coming to a full stop then clunking into gear about a second after being stopped. After further test driving I was also able to feel it slipping in 2nd gear under hard acceleration. The trans also has a hard engagement to reverse I figured with 238k on it and the history of accord transmissions, it was time to replace the trans. Located a JDM unit in the Phoenix area and replaced the engine and trans assembly as a unit. The fluid in the trans fluid and the engine oil was very clean and had many signs it was truly a lower mileage unit.

Well, after installing the powertrain the slipping is gone but it it still acting as if it does not have enough fluid in it and going into neutral. If I drive it in 1 or 2 on the gear shifter there is no problem so I disconnected the gear selector switch on the trans and I do not have the issue in any shifter position but I have not driven it far, just in and out of the driveway to confirm the problem is there with the switch connected and gone with it disconnected. It also shifts into reverse smoothly with the switch disconnected.It leaves me to believe the issue is an electrical concern. I am planning to verify proper pin voltages tonight to see if anything if out of range.

Are there any members that have encountered this concern that may want to share their experiences? Thank you in advance for any help.