General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Default trans problem?

this is a friends car that im helping him fix...
heres the history on the vehicle...

1996 honda accord 2.3L Vtec 120K miles Automatic transmission

started off with a hole in the block,
i replaced it with a used motor, new belts and just about every gasket from the head to the oil pan was replaced...

two weeks later he blew a headgasket,
coolant temp sensor failed which overheated, he kept driving, which messed everything up...

installed a new coolant temp senosr, head gasket, resurfaced head, cleaned intake and exhaust valves, installed a new radiator, reservoir tank, new thermostat, cleaned out entire intake manifold...

a month later the trans took a dump on him...
swapped in a used transmission, now problems...

the car will go into all gears and reverse on initial start up, but will only last for a few feet than it will act like its in neutral... turn the car off and back on, it works again for another few feet, than neutral again...

ive swapped all the solenoids and the ecu and still same thing happens... also there is no CODES at all...

anyone have any idea or have experienced this before please HELP!... thanks...

Old 07-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

The 94-97 accords had 2.2L engines. What was the year/model of the donor accord for the engine and transmission?

You can also download a pdf of the 94 accord shop manual that is very similar to the 96. Just go to the spooner link I posted in the Online Manuals thread in the DIY section.

If you short the blue two-pin connector under the glove box, do you you get any codes flashing from the D4 light?

There is a cable that goes from the throttle body to the transmission that you may want to adjust. See page 14-171 in that pdf you download.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The 94-97 accords had 2.2L engines. What was the year/model of the donor accord for the engine and transmission?

You can also download a pdf of the 94 accord shop manual that is very similar to the 96. Just go to the spooner link I posted in the Online Manuals thread in the DIY section.

If you short the blue two-pin connector under the glove box, do you you get any codes flashing from the D4 light?

There is a cable that goes from the throttle body to the transmission that you may want to adjust. See page 14-171 in that pdf you download.

oh yea its a 2.2 sorry... working on too many accords at one time... hahaha... both engine and trans came from a 96 ex...

no codes, that was my first step...

ill try adjusting that cable... but i dont see how it could affect it like that...

i have swapped out all the solenoids and the ecu and still same symptoms...

i did reuse the old torque converter, so i think that might of been the problem... i am going to swap it out monday and see if that works...

Old 07-27-2010, 09:38 PM
Default Help!

ok nothing seems to make the car work... lol...

i didnt get a chance to swap the torque converter, because the one i was going to use another guy took it...

so the car sat for a day, i started it this afternoon... worked like nothing ever went wrong... drove it for about an hour, shifted up and down gears, reverse everything works... so i thought, on the way back home, i drove up a hill and just watched my rpms climb, loosing speed, no power, rpms keeps climbing...

the problem started all over again, turn car off, turn back on, works, go go go... this time i can actually go a about 10-20 yards before its in neutral again(meaning it wont do anything in any gear)...

turned off and on car all the way back home... checked for codes, nothing, checked all the solenoids and every thing is good... check fluid, good...

anyone out there have any ideas as to whats happening???