General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default trans problem

I have a 1995 honda accord lx, the problem is that when i drive a few blocks the transmision starts to mishift, and when it does that it won't go into reverse but if turned it offthe carand restarted it works fine for another few blocks. I changed the trans control module (tcm)and it is the same. can anybody help thanks

Old 03-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: trans problem

You need to pull the TCU codes that are likely stored, even if D4 is not flashing. Short service check connector (blue connector beneath glove box), turn keyswitch to ON, and read the flashes of the D4 light for code. Long flash is 10's digit and short flash is units, so F-ffff is 14. Post your codes and help is possible.

good luck

Old 03-25-2007, 04:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I went out to the car and found out that the short sevice check connector was not plug in, jump it with a clip and gave no codes, I plug it back turnedon the car and no codes, anything else i can do. Thank you

Old 03-25-2007, 09:28 PM

Is D4 light is on steady or does it not come on for 2 secs after keyswitch is turned to ON?

Also check your TCU connectors to make sure they are secure and look for any wiring damage to harness at the TCU.

good luck

Old 03-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

excuse me for sounding dum but the d-4 light is the check engine light. right? if it is when i turn on the keyswitch is on for a couple of seconds. when i disconnected the service check connectori did not get any codes

Old 03-25-2007, 10:26 PM
MewhortD
Unregistered

Inspect this first
http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...utotranny.html
and also this should help
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=S001&UserAction=viewSimpleDia gResultsInfo&Parameters=Transmission|~57|~Chan ging+Gears|~17|~Hard+Shifting|~88|~Feels+like|~1&a mp;FROMJSP=type
either way DON'T drive your car unless you are taking it to a repair shop and even then try to get it towed. Take a look at the links i pasted in here and then tell me what you find. I had the same problem with my Mazda 626 and had to rebuild it because it was so bad off.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:28 PM

The D4 light is the trans position indicator light in the instrument panel. It flashes any codes for the TCU, not the Check Engine Light which flashes ECU codes. Perhaps you missed any codes earlier. I would suggest checking again if any doubt. The D4 light will flash steadily when some TCU codes are set, but stay off even though there are codes present, until you short service check connector and check for codes as described above.

good luck

Old 03-25-2007, 10:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies

thank you, the code is 15

Old 03-26-2007, 01:36 AM

This is code for mainshaft speed sensor (MSS) and indicates an electrical fault in the wiring, connector, or MSS. Fault is most likely the MSS, but check wiring and connector for damage.

Your the 2nd person to have this code recently on the forum. Here's the info.

Code 15 is for mainshaft speed sensor (MSS) fault. It can mean a connector, wiring, or MSS fault. First check the connector and wiring for any obvious faults. The possibility of wiring faults is small, and if nothing obvious I would suggest trying to purchase a new or used MSS (car-part.com). A used part may be difficult to find. Check ebay also.

The MSS harness connector is very near the dual A/B lockup solenoids which are near the trans dipstick. The wires in the MSS harness are Orng/Blu and Wht/Blu. The MSS shows on a graphic as near the trans drain plug on the pax side underneath. Hopefully it is accessible for replacement.

good luck