General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission flush fixing shift issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Transmission flush fixing shift issue?

Hello
I have a 92 Accord DX with an auto transmission that had been replaced years ago (93-99 when it was replaced). It seems to shift suddenly eg. surges abruptly. I don't seem to see the tach do odd things so I suspect it's the tranny. Will a flush and fill do the trick because I had a drain and fill which fixed the issue only for a day or two?

This and an A/C leak as well as a bad home paint job on the hood are the only issues I have with the old thing.
KT

Old 11-11-2007, 03:30 AM
Default RE: Transmission flush fixing shift issue?

Different guys will say different things, some say Hondas dont like tranny flushes, either way, only use Honda OEM fluid. Some say get it flushed while it is running so the pump can pump the new and old fluid through by going to QuickyLube or some place like that, others say do three drain and refills with three quarts each (if three qts drains out) with a short drive in between drain and refill. Most of the fluid is in the Torque Converter and does not drain out.

Contact a lube shop and see if they use a machine through the dipstick tube and if the have OEM Honda fluid or will they take yours.

Honda trannies are not servicable by the DIYer so if this does not help, then its swap or rebuild time.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:06 AM

I've always been told to warm up the tranny, hurry and drain the fluid, and replace the filter if it has one. Then fill it.

Also, I don't know if its really that big of a deal. I've owned my Honda for 2 years and it has always shifted rough. It is 6 years older than yours though.

One thing that you might want to do is remove the transmission pan and check for metal fragments on the magnets or in the fluid. I think a few very small shavings is normal, but if there is anything large you might want to keep an eye on your transmission.

Keep in mind, it's a lot cheaper to change the atf than the whole tranny.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Plane ,, my man

His car does not have a tranny filter NOR does it have a pan to remove to inspect ..

he can remove the tranny plug ans chk to see if there are any metal pieces there ..
but first thing i would do is to replace tranny fluid, use only Honda ATF-Z1 , maybe more than once ,, or like it was adviced to have a tranny flush but also using ATF-Z1

Old 11-11-2007, 12:05 PM

I recommend the drain and fill. If it is pretty dirty get a flush with OEM fluid. Always use OEM fluid. I have read some horror stories in this forum when OEM fluid wasn't used. I remember I had another car (non Honda) and I got a transmission flushed at a quick lube place. One place did it really quickly (which wasn't a great place to get it done), another quick lube place did it for a full hour which I felt was worth it.

Anyways, I am just trying to say that any car you own you should probably go to the dealer for the tranny fluid, and especially on Hondas!

Old 11-11-2007, 02:59 PM

Don't ever let a place like Jiffy Lube hook your trans up to their "flush" machine. I don't care what kind of car you have. Those machines are bad news for any transmission.