General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission Flush - How much trouble am I in?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 10:34 PM
92Wahoo
Unregistered
Default Transmission Flush - How much trouble am I in?

New to this forum.

I brought my 2000 Accord LX in for the 90K service to a local Firestone shop. Place has done work on other cars I have owned without any problems.

Anyway, had them change the transmission fluid as I had never had that done and the service called for it. (This car is a hand me down from my mother-in-law so I have no idea what work she ever had done.)

When I picked the car up, the receipt stated that a "transmission fluid flush with modifier" was done. Apparently "ever-wear transmission transmission flush & treatment" and "ever-wear transmission treatment" were used followed up by some unknown "transmission fluid."

After having searched around for some other info., I began seeing that (1) only Honda ATF should be used and (2) a traditional "flush" is something that should never occur with an Accord. I plan to call the place up tomorrow to see what exactly was done and what ATF was used.

My question is this: how screwed am I if an actual flush was done by them? If Honda ATF was not used I am planning on getting it put in ASAP.

Any advice/suggestions are appreciated.

92Wahoo

Old 05-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Default RE: Transmission Flush - How much trouble am I in?

Don't let it mess up a good night sleep....

If I were you, I would go to my local Honda Dealer and get a case of ATF and simply drain and refill the unit. Then, drive it a few days...Then drain and fill it. Then drive it a few days.

Do this until you run out of that case offluid.

If your Accord is a 4 cylinder, when you drain the fluid out, it needs to be level. Drain it and then simply put in approx.2 quarts and 20 oz in it. Start it up, shift it into drive, then reverse, then park....Then shut the engine off and check the fluid level (within about 90 seconds of turning the engine off)It is that simple.

A case of fluid will give you enough ATF to do this 4 times.

Doyourself a big favor...In the future don't take a Honda Accordto Firestone.

Hope this helps.
Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, Inc.
www.accuratecars.com

Old 05-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the only way to get all of the crappy fluid out is via attaching a machine to the transmission fluid lines that pumps in new fluid as old fluid is pumped out.

with every drain/refill, you exchange out 1/3 of the fluid.

after 4 drain/refills, you will have changed out about 79% of the fluid. If my math is correct, at least, im not 100% sure.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:52 PM

Don't lose any sleep over it if the transmission is not acting funny. However I would call the place as you said and ask them exactly what they did. Did they tell you they were going to "flush" the trans? Or did they tell you they were going to change the fluid?

Old 05-12-2008, 09:42 PM

Honda specifically states the only fluid in the car should be honda ATF, if they put another fluid in is, probally guessing the cheapo Dexron III/Mercon, You may have problems with the shifting/sliping, i would either change the fluid multiple times as hondaed said or go to the dealer and ask them to do a transmission flush.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:16 PM
xbox1986
Unregistered

not to sound like a jerk but honestly this is one of the many reasons to buy a manual transmission. at least with a 5 speed you dont need to worry about what kind of fluid they put in your car and worring whether it willneed to bejunked because of it, not to mention changing tranny fluid is expensive if you have someone do it for you im guessing you paid about $100 and you needto get it changedat least every 60,000 miles, some cars need it changed as often as 15,000 (like my girlfriends chrysler cirrus) i explained it to her that day at jiffy lube and i think she wants me to teach her how to drive stick because of the expense of an automatic transmission

Old 05-28-2008, 06:28 PM

Lol I took my car to firestone and they did the same thing to my car. Flushed it, then i came on here and it said NONO to Flushes. Omg, i got scared, but my car is shifting fine, but its a 1996 accord it shifts hard sometimes, maybe its the whole in my muffler.