General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 06:50 PM
cwinesette
Unregistered
Default Transmission leak

Hey everyone this is my first post.

I just traded my sister my Nissan Altima for her 98 Accord Coupe. It the a 4cyl with an automatic transmission.

Even though is has 222,000 miles on it still runs great! Except for one thing. When the car is "cold" the transmission shifts really hard (especially for first to second gear) . Once the car warms up it shifts perfectly. There is always a small puddle underneath the car now matter how long it sits (it's on the behind the engine on the passenger side) When I had it up on ramp yesterday it looked like the leak was coming from the where the driveshaft goes into the drivers side of the engine. I don't know if I am describing the parts correctly I am just trying to give as much info as I can.

So does this sound like the issue? (driveshaft seal leak) if so is this something that is easy to fix, or am I screwed?

Thanks so much for your help!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Transmission leak

what is it leaking? is it water? oil? power steering fluid? tranny fluid?

6th gen (what you have) accords have bad automatic transmissions, sounds like it might be starting to go.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:15 PM
cwinesette
Unregistered

Of course I try to include as much as I can and I still forget something. Sorry about that. I am pretty sure it is transmission fluid that is leaking. 95% sure!

Old 11-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Don't shoot the messenger,[sm=innoc.gif] but if the leak is where the axle meets the trans differential. You probablyneed to go shopping for a new trans.
Grab the inner CV joint and see if it moves up and down, if no excess movement you might be able to pull the axle and replace the seal.
In 98 thru 02the "product cheapening dept" decided to put taper roller bearings in the differential. they don't usually last much longer than 100k miles, there was a warranty extension.
I'll hunt up a pic for ya.

I've got 5 sistersI feel your pain LOL