General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest cleaning outside and then forcing a little solvent deep into the crack/defect to clean the defect. Apply J&B and allow to dry overnight before loading ATF again.

I've read of engine block repairs w/ J&B weld so this should be easy,...if it will stick. Thorough cleaning is the key.

good luck

Old 07-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jstmbr01
I called Honda and explain to them the situation. They gave me a case number and will get back to me.
I will research the epoxy. I think this would be an interesting fix, if I can get it completely clean.
good, don't do anything until you hear back from them.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

You need to consider exactly where it's leaking before plugging it with JBWeld.

You first mentioned a "weep hole". *IF* you're talking about the little drain hole at the bottom of the bellhousing, then DO NOT close that up with JBWeld. That's not really the source of the leak - you have to remove the transmission to fix the actual leak.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:50 PM

Honda called me back today. They are going to replace the tranny with a Honda remanufactured one. Wow, I was shocked. He said that it a very unique circumstance and since we also own a Pilot they wanted to make it right.
So thanks Dr. Drivability. It was a path that wasn't thought of.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jstmbr01
Honda called me back today. They are going to replace the tranny with a Honda remanufactured one. Wow, I was shocked. He said that it a very unique circumstance and since we also own a Pilot they wanted to make it right.
So thanks Dr. Drivability. It was a path that wasn't thought of.
glad to hear it, sometimes a phone call is the simplest fix

Old 08-09-2012, 02:23 PM

Dr Driveability,
I got my Accord back from Honda and it runs great. Interesting enough there was an annoying noise that is now gone. The mechanic said that the bearing seal was bad and it was the best possible fix. I asked if there was an extended warranty now that they worked on the transmission, and he said that they were never in the transmission and therefore there is no extended warranty. I am very thrilled and thankful that Honda stepped up and the car runs great.
Is there anything you can think of that should have been asked?

Old 08-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

as long as the leak is fixed...and stays fixed, i wouldn't worry about it too much. you should have at least a 3 month 3k mile warranty on the work they did perform regardless. i would however pop for 3 quarts of honda atf and do a drain and fill once a year just for preventative maintenance.