General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission Noise, Squeak, and Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Transmission Noise, Squeak, and Lights

I have a 2004 Honda Accord LX with ~95K miles on it. The transmission makes a relatively loud noise while the car is idling. I know the last time I added ATF, I went a bit over the max mark. I think that may be causing the abnormal noise so I'm going to drain the fluid and refill it to the proper levels. Do you all think this will fix it?

The car also makes a squeaking noise when I brake or driving at low speeds. Any ideas what can be causing this? Sway bar bushing? Brake pad surface issues?

Also, is there any way to reset the ABS & SRS light w/o going to the dealer? I heard they charge an arm & a leg for it. I've done my homework, and there's nothing substantively wrong with the car to cause the lights to be on. They just need to be reset.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:25 PM

not sure what noise your trans is making, fluid change is a good idea. does it change as you accelerate?

squeaking breaks is usually pad related

the ABS - SRS light is not like a check engine light that can be "reset" this light is on because there is an issue with something in the system and your airbags and ABS will probably not function as a result. I had this light come up twice on my car and it was a faulty driver seatbelt receiver. This was a recall item on my model I'm not sure about the 7th gen accord.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Is the transmission leaking fluid? Or did you do a drain/refill on the transmission? What kind of transmission fluid did you use?

Old 08-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Silver6gen
not sure what noise your trans is making, fluid change is a good idea. does it change as you accelerate?

squeaking breaks is usually pad related

the ABS - SRS light is not like a check engine light that can be "reset" this light is on because there is an issue with something in the system and your airbags and ABS will probably not function as a result. I had this light come up twice on my car and it was a faulty driver seatbelt receiver. This was a recall item on my model I'm not sure about the 7th gen accord.
I do not detect any change in the transmission noise as I accelerate. However, the it is not very loud to begin with so it's only apparent while I'm parked when the noise from the car running is not drowning the transmission noise out. I did a drain and refill and overfilled it by a little bit. I did not use the official Honda ATF. I was cheap and bought the Walmart generic version that fits Hondas and other imports.

For a brief 10 minutes, there was also a grinding noise that seemed to be coming from the back of the car, but then it went away. I got out of the car to check on my muffler, and it was still intact. I've heard this on other old cars on the road. Any ideas on what this may be?

What is it about the pads that cause the brakes to squeak? I'm thinking it may be the pad-rotor surface/contact b/c it squeaks when I tap on the brakes lightly but the squeaking stops as I press hard on the brakes. It's also squeaking as I am driving.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:43 PM

I think there are two issues here.

1) your pads are probably near the end of their life if the squeak goes away when you brake. Pads are designed to create a metal on metal sound when they are close to being toast.

2) So its squeaking when you are in park huh? Have you opened your hood and tried to pin point the squeak? Get a section of hose (3-4 feet) stick one end to your ear then use the other end to scan the engine. Like a doctros stethoscope. Put it to different areas and see if the sound in your ear gets louder. I'd start with the power steering pump and belt, then the accessory belts, AC then anywhere else you can stick that hose.

Finally-

Get that walmart crap out of your transmission, honda AT's HATE other fluid. You might save yourself $15 but I think 15 is worth spending when rebuilds cost 2500-4000. Make sure you fill it to the proper level, DO NOT OVER FILL! if it is overfilled use a turkey baster to remove fluid till you get to the right amount.