General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2005 V6 Accord Coupe wheel squeak and knock? Puzzled.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:54 AM
Default 2005 V6 Accord Coupe wheel squeak and knock? Puzzled.

Title says the basics... I'm experiencing an issue that has left me with to many possibilities of problems that I need help narrowing down the issue.

Opening notes, I'm 19 and like to think I know as much about my car as a mechanic would but in reality have no actual professional knowledge of being a mechanic. However I try to do things myself if possible to save a little cha-ching here and there.

I'm getting two issues. So first it started with a knock/clunk noise that almost sounds like a bad cv joint. This knock will not always but mostly happen every time I'm accelerating and turning at a fairly sharp right or even left turn. It's coming from the right front wheel I suspect.
The speed of the knock picks up with the acceleration of the car so its fairly quick sounding and goes away as soon as the car straightens out.
However I don't have massive vibrations or the steering wheel shaking or whatever at low speeds or even at high speeds.
There's no grease at all on the cv boots, however I did notice that even with the car in park I was able to twist the wheel clockwise or counterclockwise slightly an inch or so. (Drive shaft?) This did not have the same results on the left front wheel as it did not budge at all.

My second problem started after my second inspection attempt of the original knock. So now I'm getting a squeak when pressure is relieved from the breaks and somewhat noticeable while driving at low speeds. ( >45 mph ) This is a very light squeak, almost like if my breaks were starting to go bad.

So what could be my problem? I have in mind that it could be a bad wheel bearing, bad cv joint, bad axle/drive shaft, and or bad breaks.

The car has 247k miles but has been babied and still can talk trash on many other cars. I also have bad control arm bushings but they've been like that before the knocking even even started

Old 02-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Noises are fun over the net.

Is is a steady knock or more like a one time knock.

Did you check the sway bar bushings and end links?

Old 02-16-2013, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Slack in steering is not affected by CV axles. This could be looseness in steering rack, tie-rod ball jts (inner or outer). Get someone to turn wheel while you look at tie-rod for movement. If no movement occurs w/ steering wheel movement, the slack is in the steering rack or inner tie rod ball joint (should be able to feel).

If you see movement in outer tie-rod ball joint w/o wheel movement, the ball joint is bad.

Noise is likely early CV axles joint failure. Some will run a long time before unacceptable noise is reached.

Brake squeak could be caliper pins or worn pads. Wheel bearings don't squeak, more of a low pitched roar or hum.

good luck

Old 02-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Administrator

T.|H. has some good info for you here..I looked it up and came up with the same info he did..check it!...

Old 02-16-2013, 01:59 PM

Appreciating the quick replies!
I'm going to take a look at it again today but here's some more info I was able to dig up

Also the Power steering rack. It has a pretty nasty leak coming from the front right. Could this be the issue causing the knock? When I first originally discovered the leak it looks as if it's been leaking for a year or so due to how bad it was covered in dirty crusty power steering fluid. However this knock (a very steady knock) It sounds like every time the wheel makes a complete rotation it knocks.

The strange thing about the squeak is that it did not happen till after I did the second actual inspection of the wheel knock. (Coincidental much?) I was curious if I had simply put the wheel on wrong but that's almost a hard thing to mess up.

Apologies if link posting is forbiddon but this video is the same type of noise I can hear (with the knock) Only I can hear it constantly happening only on a turn.
Considering that this knock is only

Last edited by miwwaff; 02-16-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It might be possible for a loose rack to cause problems such as knocking when turning. Primary problem would still be loose steering rack.

good luck