General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

01 Accord. No Start. Puzzled!

Old 04-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Default 01 Accord. No Start. Puzzled!

Ok i got a 2001 Accord 4 cyl Auto Trans.

Vehicle has never had problems granted it has 195k on the clock. She drove it no problem at 4PM an hour later at 5 she goes to start it to take the kids to soccer and NOTHING.

Ok no problem there is a jump box int he garage so she attempts to jump the car off. Nothing. Won't even attempt to start.

Once i get home I take a look and test the battery. Everything seems fine on it. It has 12.7 volts off the Multimeter. I don't have a battery tester for CCA. But I go ahead and attempt to jump it off the jeep and I get no power. So I am no longer thinking it is a battery issue.

While I have the jumper cables hook up to it I Put the shifter in Neutral to see if it will start there and everything LIGHTS up but still I get nothing when I try to crank and I lose all the lights. I am thinking fuse but the fuses are good. So is it like a neutral safety switch or some other wiring that I cannot find. I am thinking there is a short somewhere but not sure where to even begin to look.

I am in to Jeeps so the Honda is a lil foreign too me. PUN INTENDED.

Thanks for the help. Please don't tell me to search due to the ammount of No Start threads I have already looked through.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Foriegn Honda? It was probably built in Ohio...

Check the battery cables. The OTHER end of each cable might be dirty/loose/corroded??
It's acting like the battery doesn't have enough juice, but your jumper cables show it's not the battery.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Clean and tighten all ends of both battery cables like Jim suggested.

Sounds like a dead battery to me, since your interior lights are dimming. You might want to pull the battery and have it tested at a parts store.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:18 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will check them out but I did look at all the connections and attempted to wiggle them. Nothing looks bad with the battery cables. There is no "Dimming" in the system it is either on or it isn't. And it will come on only when playing with the shifter. Then it will completly be gone when attempting to start. Then it has to go through like a cool down faze before it will do the same thing again.

After an attempt to start I even with the key all the way to the run position I cannot move the shifter out of park it is locked in.

Today I will check out the battery terminals like suggested though. But I do believe if it was that simple my car would not be parked still and I would have never found this forum.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

you said...
----
While I have the jumper cables hook up to it I Put the shifter in Neutral to see if it will start there and everything LIGHTS up but still I get nothing when I try to crank and I lose all the lights.
----

I think PA and myself both read this to mean they dimmed out. Sorry about that.

Something flaky with the neutral-safety switch? That might tie in with being stuck in park.

Check whether you get 12v at the small wire on the starter - "starter signal" wire. That will indicate whether you should blame the neutral-safety switch vs. blaming the starter itself.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
you said...
----
While I have the jumper cables hook up to it I Put the shifter in Neutral to see if it will start there and everything LIGHTS up but still I get nothing when I try to crank and I lose all the lights.
----

I think PA and myself both read this to mean they dimmed out. Sorry about that.

Something flaky with the neutral-safety switch? That might tie in with being stuck in park.

Check whether you get 12v at the small wire on the starter - "starter signal" wire. That will indicate whether you should blame the neutral-safety switch vs. blaming the starter itself.

Yeah I hear ya I think of Dimming as "still on just very lite" On my case they were either ON or OFF no dimming.

I had planned on checking the starter but the wife wasn't available to turn the key so I was by myself.

I did bring my battery tester in from work. It fails at 625 CCA which is what the battery is supposed to be and start passing at 325CCA. So I do need a new battery but that is not my problem(at the moment). There is no short I replaced my Negative battery cable just do to it being Funky. (and I had one laying around from being a jeep owner). I plan on replacing the positive soon with the battery (need funds). Was working on tearing the bottom dash apart so I could test the Ignition Switch. First I am thinking I will try the starter. As soon as I have a lil help on it.

Thanks for the replies. Initially I was worried that this was not an active forum.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
What did the above test show. Does the car have an alarm system (OE or aftermarket)

Old 04-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You said you "lost all lights" when you attempted to start. This may suggest a bad keyswitch assy. I don't think you are getting a start signal as the solenoid of the starter should at least "click". Check for voltage to the starter signal wire as suggested. No signal indicates a bad starter switch module. Easy fix.

good luck

Old 04-19-2011, 06:42 AM

Got it fixed now. I picked up a new battery and cables. Changed it out so I could atleast eliminate it. THen I was going to trouble shoot the Ignition switch assy.

Damn car started with a new battery. WOW I was pretty convinced that was not the problem but ohwell. It is running now.

Thanks for the help. Thanks for all who reccomended Battery.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Congrats on the find.