General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

transmission and o2 issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure that you verify the timing is off by getting the crank to TDC, then checking the cam.

I would focus on the FITV right now. If the idle goes way down when you plug that lower port inside the throttle body, then the fitv is not closing for some reason. It is like a thermostat, where the engine coolant cause the valve to close once the coolant is hot.

You may want to disconnect the coolant lines to the FITV and make sure that water can flow through the valve. I remember reading where the passages to the valve were plugged up. Check the hoses too.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then you will have to replace the FITV.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:52 PM

thanks for the explination, much sence was made.

i will tear into that tomorrow and respond.

everyone has been wonderfull here!

Old 04-09-2013, 11:59 AM

Well, I had no air bubbles, or so I thought. those hoses were empty goin to fitv, I know they get water cause my new/used valve leaked at first. I used the air bleed valve by thermo to put coolant in, how do I get the air out of those lines above bleeder aka iacv and fitv hoses

Old 04-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe a blockage so water isn't properly flowing THROUGH the FITV? You might have to backtrack around those hoses until you find something plugged up with crud??

The radiator cap and the thermostat housing are the 2 places where air pockets can hang out for any length of time. That's why the bleeder valve is located there.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 PM

dude, i used the bleeder, had no air bubbles. everytime i lifted radiatior cap its full. but the hoses to fitv were not leaking like i expected them to be.

the fitv i got from the junkyard i dissasembled, comparing that one to the pin that i have in mine, mine seemed a little off kilter, when i replaced i knew fluid was gettin in there because it was leaking from where the bottom screws on. plus the fitv bottom was clear as day. used some silicone stuff in there, got it sealed.

well i did check this out, my bottom hole does not suck when the iacv is unplugged. just the top. now i do have the special intake, i wonder if that makes the holes different, but both u guys said that the bottom was the fitv. there is no way that the bottom hole is the fitv.

so the fitv must be closing, what else would be causing engine to only get to 800 rpm before dying, iacv unplugged. Regular idle at 1200

Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

What intake manifold do you have installed on your car? Did these idle problems start up when you replaced the original manifold?

Old 04-10-2013, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Oh DUH!
You've got an F23 manifold? Or am I thinking of somebody else?

F23 doesn't have an FITV at all, so it probably doesn't have the water-passageways to feed it.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:46 AM

Its the stock intake that comes with ex.

Theres a top and bottom hole on backside, firewall side. when I unplug iacv, bottom hole has no suction. So top hole must be where I set base idle from.

I dont know much about other Honda engines besides my f22a6, but I know my intake is different from other 4th gens. My friends thought I had v tech when I showed them pics of intake.

I know ex's have em, frequent junkyard visits.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

So I guess I was confused with a different person who put on an F23 manifold.

So you have primary & secondary runners in the manifold, and butterflys below the plenum which close & open the secondaries?

That means there's another thing similar to a "throttle shaft" and a vacuum-servo, vacuum bottle, & solenoid valve. More places to check for vacuum leaks.

Somehow, you want to figure out why the water isn't getting through to the FITV.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:04 PM

Water is!

It was leaking water cause it wasnt sealed properly.

and ive checked all that man.

Could it be bad timing? Or bad tach?

Quick Reply: transmission and o2 issue