General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission and o2 issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 10:52 AM

yes sir, trying to get the idle down to the 750 range

Old 04-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, can you get the car up to op temp and remove the two screws marked in yellow in this pick and tell us is there is air being sucked thru.

Again, just me but I'm still worried about the FITV. You cover the port and the idle drops to almost the correct range.

Attached Thumbnails transmission and o2 issue-4th-gen-fitv.jpg   transmission and o2 issue-4th-gen-fitv-testing-pt1.jpg   transmission and o2 issue-4th-gen-fitv-testing-pt2.jpg  
Old 04-21-2013, 04:37 PM

i got the car to op temp, removed cover, and could hear a light vacuum, but could not feel air.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:12 PM

Would it be a big obvious sucking?
I can use toilet paper and see if it sucks, not letting it suck in obviously lol

Old 04-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, just me here - guys step in at any point.

There is an issue with the FITV. At normal op engine temp you cover the lower port in the tb and idle drops. You open the top of the FITV and there is vac when the car is warm/normal op temp.

This is where I feel bad because I can't remember the FITV set up on the 4th gen's, been WAY too long. I "THINK" when that cover was off there is a "slit/slot" on the ball under it.....please confirm before going forward.

If so, remove the FITV from the TB. Gently roll/fold it back from the tb and give the ports that seal to the tb a bath in carb/tb cleaner....should be two ports...think about it, it is an air bypass of sorts.

If you really want to prove me wrong....while the valve is off the tb/intake....spray a good amount of carb/tb cleaner thru the lower port in the tb intake.....I bet it comes out the port/hole where the fitv mounts

Then re-install the fitv....either a new o-ring or a "light coat" of silicone on the old o-ring.. Then "snug" the ball down.....kind of a feel thing so I can't give more than that.

Either a new o-ring for the cover...or another thin coat of silicone and replace the cover.

Remove the fuse for the ecu or the neg cable for ~2 minutes. Re-install fuse or cable. Start car without touching the gas....and let it run until warm....fans cycle at least once.

What do we have from here?

Last edited by poorman212; 04-23-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:15 PM

Im out of carb cleaner atm,

I can say the fitv I got from junkyard was very clean, cleaned anyways, and sealed with thin coat of silicone,

I opened top and snugged plastic ring down with the slits, with the gold metal head in the middle.

Installed not solving anything.

I can pull it off and clean Ports in tb, but have to wait till I can get more carb cleaner.

anything else we can do?

Thanks for your replies

Last edited by BlindGungfu; 04-25-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Well again I'm hung up on the FITV because of the fact you cover the port and it goes down - with the "cap" off there is vac when the car is warm/op temp. Again, sorry but both of those things have me stuck on that.

The only other "reach" at this point is that the coolant isn't flowing thru the lines going to the FITV.....can you remove the two coolant lines and blow compressed air back thru the two hoses.....remove the rad cap so you are not fighting that.

Or if you have a temp reader.....verify the same temp on both hoses on the fitv.....still not a good test because if the "inside" is bad it will read the same.

Check for vac leaks around where the fitv seats/seals to the tb.....I'd use carb cleaner, so I guess that is out?

I've been wrong before and will be again...but to me the "signs" are pointing to the fitv.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:52 PM

I have a infared thermo at my girls place. I can check that temp in a couple days. Probly get some cleaner to.

well, while we have to wait for that one let me ask you...

Do u know why my distributor is advanced all the way and timing still retarded... Timing lines all match up. Engine runs not so good, getting a lot of pinging.
I can start a new thread for that if need be, still learnin about forum polocies.