General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 03:16 AM
fumanchu
Unregistered
Default Transmission problems

Hi. I have a 92 Honda Accord EX 2 door coupe. 2.2 single cam engine. I had the car for 6 years now and it has never given me any major problems until now. When the engine tempature is cold, the car runs fine and shifts smoothly. As soon as the engine reaches normal operating tempature, the transmission will slip and shift roughly. Tempature gauge shows no overheating, and no check engine or warning lights. Only indication is when the transmission is slipping, the D4 light on the instument panel dims, not flash or hold. I have replaced the radiator and problem is still there. Then I replaced the thermostat and the problem got worse. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Default RE: Transmission problems

have you checked your fluid lately? does it look dark or brown? smell burnt?

Old 12-20-2006, 07:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you need to change your fluid and check your line pressures. next test solenoids and replace if needed. if it isnt one of those 2 things then you are looking at a rebuild to fix the problem

Old 12-21-2006, 02:18 PM

Before replacing the trans, rule out the easier stuff first.
How many miles are on the trans?
1.) If the ‘S’ or ‘D4’ lights blink or come on, this is an indication that the computer has picked up a problem. Accords are notorious for the A/T Control Unit going bad (faulty electronic components)on ’90-‘93’s.This is a great web site for trans problems. http://techauto.te.funpic.org/transmission.php
2.) Check fluid. If it’s dirty, drain and refill. The plug is magnetic and will pick up most of the metallic debris. I had similar problem, except it would mysteriously switch into Sport mode. The fluid was dirty, so I drained and refilled. I don’t know if this was the cause, but so far (knock on wood), hasn’t been giving me problems with 500 miles since fluid change. I’ve been keeping tabs on the fluid which is still red, but plan to drain and refill again to remove as much as I can short of getting a trans flush. I used Genuine Honda ATF-Z1 fluid that everyone has recommended. Pricey, but if it works its better then replacing the trans.3.) If the fluid is clean (red), check or have the line pressure checked.