General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission and shifter lever problems.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Default Transmission and shifter lever problems.

Hello all! A little new here so sorry if this is a little iffy. But I have a 1997 Honda Accord LX automatic. The car is in great shape and runs superb. the odometer says 111144 Miles but I found a reciept in the glove box after I bought it that said 200000 something on it so I think I might have gotten screwed and leid to when I purchased the vehicle. But reguardless its in good shape. But there a few problems I am starting to notice has I procced to drive the vehicle. The shifter lever inside the car seems to be off. There is a small list of P, R, N, D4, D3, 2, and 1 on the side right next to the shifter lever and there is the same list on the cluster box next to the spedometer and what not, when it says it's in D4 on the dash its actuall appears to be half way between D4 and D3 on the one next to the lever, I'm not sure if the lever is off, or the plastic housing around the shifter lever is off. But either way there is deffinitly problems with my transmission. For example, When I pull out of my drive way in reverse, and put it into D4 to go forward, it feels like the clutch doesnt really engage or catch untill about a second or so after. This is no big deal but it is very annoying. Also, When I put it into reverse it makes a big clunk noise sometimes. It also acts up when shifting, its pretty jumpy and rough and sometimes when I'm accelarating fast enough it goes to shift and revs really high and then goes into gear, it's very strange. But I'm no car expert. Some people tell me that all honda's shift rough, but I don't know. My Dad tells me I need a new CV shaft, or CV joint? Others tell me that the shifter lever is messing things up. I don't know who to trust or believe or what to do and I don't have a ton of money to get it professionaly check even though I know that'd be the best choice. Thanks for any input help or advice! and sorry again for the unprofessionalism! Thanks! Also I can give pictures if needed.