General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Shifter lever button question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 03:36 AM
Default Shifter lever button question

Helping a friend with her 00 4 cylinder A/T Accord. She said she went to put the car into gear and the button on the shifter popped out. She then slid the **** off (I guess the screws were loose/missing). So I've ordered the replacement screws and spring for the button (she lost that too).

My question is how does the button stay inside the shift "****"? As of right now without the spring or anything the button just slides in and out. Does the spring kind of hold it on? Is there some kind of c-clip I'm missing?

I've scoured the internet but I've only managed to find info about 7th gen issues. This diagram (Honda Automotive Parts)doesn't show anything other parts so I'm kind of lost. She lives a little ways away so I'd like to have everything ready the next time we meetup.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brandon

Old 04-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I recenlty had the button fail and glued it back together. The button has a slot which engages the flat rod extending from the shift lever. When you push the button, it forces the flat rod down the shifter to release the lock. The flat rod engages and retains the button.

The two screws should be tightened firmly, but don't strip!

good luck