General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission wont work after new engine!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Default Transmission wont work after new engine!!

I just spent a weekend pulling the engine out of 99 Accord Ex, V6, Auto after the install the motor ran great but the tranny wont shift at all. Itpm just wont engage at all? except it grinds if you try to put in Park with the motor running. I installed the motor perfectly and it runs great but now the tranny doesnt work after the install. I dont really see what I could have done wrong? I pulled the motor unbolted the tranny, removed the treorque converter by removing the ten mm bolts on the flex plate, transferred tourque converter to the new motors flex plate and lined up the input shaft and the dowel pins and bolted it on.

Could if have hooked up the wiring incorrectly? I was pretty careful.

Does anyone have any idea of what could have gone wrong?

The symptoms are the tranny just wont shift and it grinds if you try to shift into park.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Old 10-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

only think i can think of is improperly installed shift linkage or misadjusted? double check that first.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Default Transmission wont work after engine swap?

I have a 99 EX V/6, Auto with 122k, I just swapped engines this weekend due a cracked ring issue. After all my hard work and aches, the car started and ran great but the transmission will not shift? All it does is make a click when it goes into a gear and grinds when you go to Park with the engine running. The car just doesnt budge.

It was hard to get the transmission back on but all the dowel pins lined up and I tightened the 10 mm bolts that bind the torque converter to the flex plate. I removed the old torque converter and bolted it to the flex plate on the donor motor, then I then pushed the transmission onto to dowel pins and lined it up and tightened the 6, 17mm bolts and the two 14 mm below. The transmission mated fine. I hooked up all the jacks, installed the cooler lines etc.

When I started the motor it ran great but no transmission. I assume that if I had incorrectly installed the torque converter it would not have bolted together. I also thought that because the starter is actually in the transmission, i.e. there is no conventional flywheel with teeth that the motor would not have started?

I match marked the shift cable linkage and was careful to remount it in the right position but does it require adjustment?

Do Honda's throw transmission codes that you can see on OBD2 scanners, you would think if the torque converter isn't working you would throw codes like low transmission pressure?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 10-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bostongrun
I pulled the motor unbolted the tranny, removed the treorque converter by removing the ten mm bolts on the flex plate, transferred tourque converter to the new motors flex plate and lined up the input shaft and the dowel pins and bolted it on.
Just me splitting hairs......this sounds a little backwards.

I would have "seated"/"set" the converter to the trans. Then bolted it to the flywheel......

Old 10-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

I've merged your threads together.

The converter should be "seated" to the trans....can be tricky, two clicks to get it seated properly.....so again if you bolted it to the flex plate first and then "mated" the trans to to the converter....you have issues.....hate to say it but as I read this, the trans has to come out of the car....

Old 10-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Default Incorrect Tranny Install

I have a 99 EX, V/6, Auto with 112k on the odometer. I had a bad idle issue that eventually boiled down to a bad cylinder. I got a good engine from a salvage yard. I did a great job of installing the newer motor and no problems with that. I screwed up on one thing: I bolted the torque converter to the flex plate before I put the tranny on. I was able get everything pushed together tight and it started right up. The transmission did not engage except it made a grinding noise when I put in Park. I did not run the motor for any length of time thinking the trans oil pump was not working. The current symptoms are no trans engagement and it now rolls in Park.

I towed it to a shop where a guy said he reinstall the trans for $450. He said I may have wrecked the oil pump seal and maybe the torque converter. In regard to the Park,, he said I may have wrecked the prawl which is not the hard to get at. Does anyone out there who knows these trannies have any idea of what could be the damage?

The guy told me he really needs to install the tranny and see what happens unless there is a lot of obvious damage when he opens it up. BTW, I have no CELs if that has bearing.

I would greatly appreciate any input from anyone who is knowledge about these trannies, I got in trouble by taking advice from a guy at an Auto Parts Store who I thought knew more than me.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

If you did the engine swap, you might try re-setting the converter to the trans and see what you have from there? Not sure but you might be able to do this without having to totally remove the trans from the car.

Then if it is toast, you can look at getting a rebuilt on and install it.