General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble shifting into 1st when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 07:13 PM
Default Trouble shifting into 1st when stopped

Hi all,

I went and looked at a 2006 Honda Accord Sedan V6 6-Speed today at a dealer. The car was great and a good price, got to take it to a place I trust for a basic inspection and they said everything looked great, nothing to comment on. However a few times to and from the shop I noticed sometimes when stopped, it would have a hard time shifting into first from neutral. A shift into second and then into first seemed to correct it.
Anybody else have experience with this? Is that a typical thing, my operator error or potential signs for transmission problems? The dealership said they had installed an all-new clutch before sale.

Thank You

Old 12-31-2014, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

My 06 TSX with a MT doesn't do this. I think there is some way for the transmission to prevent you shifting into 1st while driving to prevent damage, but I have no clue how this works. You may want to ask the dealership about this, because I don't think this is normal when you are at a stop.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Cory Mathews
Hi all,

I went and looked at a 2006 Honda Accord Sedan V6 6-Speed today at a dealer. The car was great and a good price, got to take it to a place I trust for a basic inspection and they said everything looked great, nothing to comment on. However a few times to and from the shop I noticed sometimes when stopped, it would have a hard time shifting into first from neutral. A shift into second and then into first seemed to correct it.
Anybody else have experience with this? Is that a typical thing, my operator error or potential signs for transmission problems? The dealership said they had installed an all-new clutch before sale.

Thank You
Sounds like the clutch plate has partially separated; a new clutch should solve the issue.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:43 AM

I would start by changing the transmission fluid. Add 1 quart of BG SynchroShift II and then fill the remainder with Honda MTF. It can very well be a fluid issue not allowing the synchro to mesh the gears thus not letting it into first.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Cory Mathews
Hi all,
...However a few times to and from the shop I noticed sometimes when stopped, it would have a hard time shifting into first from neutral. A shift into second and then into first seemed to correct it.
All MT's, quite a few [including the 2 current ones], I've driven have a very occasional problem
getting into 1st at a stop - always solved by 2nd -> 1st shift like you did.

Experience here sounds much more often, but the issue itself isn't a problem in my book.
Frequency? maybe new tranny fluid like Turtlehead mentioned will solve it.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:36 AM
Almost A Senior Member

A seperated disc would cause issues in all gears, not just at a stop,. If you have not bought the car, I would keep looking. Any time you have a issue shifting from a stop, can be traced to a clutch not dis engaging properly which can be from a number of things, Run , do not walk, run from this one or you will be $$ in the drain,

Old 01-02-2015, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by woody31
A seperated disc would cause issues in all gears, not just at a stop,. If you have not bought the car, I would keep looking. Any time you have a issue shifting from a stop, can be traced to a clutch not dis engaging properly which can be from a number of things, Run , do not walk, run from this one or you will be $$ in the drain,
I said, "partially separated", it is a very common issue where a portion of the clutch face is dragging and it typically only inhibits getting into first gear.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:48 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Well you word it any way you please. If you re-read his post, he stated the dealer installed a new clutch already, which leads me to why was it replaced? And being a stick shift it was probably driven hard and put up wet. The clutch replacement was probably a cover up for what is really wrong, internal transmission issues, like a worn syncs and such, not to mention all the shiny stuff floating around. The car was most likely traded in when it started acting up and the dealer went with a hopeful fix to flip a problem car to a unknowingly consumer. I would pass on this potential disaster.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by woody31
Well you word it any way you please. If you re-read his post, he stated the dealer installed a new clutch already, which leads me to why was it replaced? And being a stick shift it was probably driven hard and put up wet. The clutch replacement was probably a cover up for what is really wrong, internal transmission issues, like a worn syncs and such, not to mention all the shiny stuff floating around. The car was most likely traded in when it started acting up and the dealer went with a hopeful fix to flip a problem car to a unknowingly consumer. I would pass on this potential disaster.
Wow, you're jumping to interesting conclusions on what I consider to be very little evidence. FWIW, the partially separated clutch disks I've seen are almost always relatively new (poor Q/C), so the fact the clutch has recently been replaced just supports that possibility.

As for worn synchros, can't say I've ever heard of a worn synchronizer causing stiff shifting, more likely if the synchros are worn the transmission will exhibit some grinding on the gear change.

Regarding the stiff shifting, if the problem is only in evidence following a cold start, especially in cold weather, then I would recommend a better gear oil, however, if the problem is always in evidence, then I stick with my original diagnosis.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:08 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I see ,,we will have to agree to dis agree on this topic, thanks for your input.