General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Troubleshooting help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:46 AM
Default Troubleshooting help needed

Hey guys, I have a bit of a mess on my hands with my Accord.

Heres the rundown...

2000 Accord 2.3 w/Auto Trans
For the past year the car the car gets a little jumpy when it gets close to time for an oil change. Checked and found that it was burning oil, no leaks around that I could find or anything. Immediately after an oil change, it would start working just fine again.
It happened again, but it burned through more than I expected and got pretty low. When driving, you could feel that the whole thing just lost drive. Like someone knocking the car in neutral. Checked the trans fluid and the level was fine but it didnt look healthy, thats for sure. Threw some more oil in the engine as well.

I had my fiancé's brother come out and look at it since he's done trans work before and he listened to it and said that something in the trans is shot. There is a sound coming from the trans area that can only be described as a something similar to an insect buzzing your ear. Im not a mechanic so what he told me didnt stick, all I heard was "ajlsjfsjlkfsj transmissions shot alsjfijads l lidsflfdisjadfsl" and he said something about rings near some gears that probably wore loose and is rubbing now.

Since I have no knowledge on the subject, I cant really argue with it, seems accurate to me, but what Im wondering is why the car seemed to get better after an oil change.

But now Im looking for a trans, local yards are telling me $800 for this thing...not what I wanted to hear, but what can I do.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

If the engine oil is disappearing, then you should definitely figure out what is going on with the engine oil loss too. The oil has to be leaking or burning.

If the engine ends up needing a replacement, then I would consider having them both done at the same time. Try doing a compression test to see if something is wrong. A leak down test would give you more information if you have low compression in some cylinders.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:29 PM

I think a friend of mine has the equipment to do a compression test. Ill see if I can get him involved with it a bit.
I guess I should also have said that there are absolutely no leaks that weve found under the car. But If you run your finder inside the tailpipe, you could scrape off a huge amount of buildup in there. So its burning up somewhere...doesnt make me feel any better about things.