General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

troublesome hub assy

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Default troublesome hub assy

I was at the junkyard yesterday trying to pull off the front wheel hub assembly, as one of my lug studs broke yesterday, once the CV is removed from the hub, you remove the four bolts on the inside of the knuckle and the hub/rotor assy should pretty much be in your hand, right? I would just take the whole knuckle, but the disk on it is crap, so much for that [&o] Thanks for any help

Old 01-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: troublesome hub assy

OK amigo here we go......

# 1- if wheel has the full hub cap,you can do this without raising the car up ... remove 2 lug nuts, remove the plastic off those lug nuts and reinstall them,, remove the other 2 lug nuts and the hub cap, tighten back all 4 lug nuts

# 2- while car is on the ground loosen up the 36mm axle nut , do not remove it yet

# 3- loosen up the 4, 14mm bolts in the frt hub , you need a good 14mm 6 point socket do not remove them yet either.........raise car up and remove wheel

# 4- remove the 2 ,17mm caliper mounting bolts and swing caliper to the side

# 5- remove the cotter pin and the 17mm castle nut from lower ball joint

# 6 - get a big hammer, hit the lower control arm and separate ball joing from knuckle

# 7- remove 36mm axle nut, tap on the axle sticking out at knuckle with a small hammer careful not to damage the threads,,separate knuckle from axle. swing knuckle to the side
# 8- get a big screwdriver pry out the axle from the tranny, remove axle totally from car it will give you more room to work,, axle will slide out through the frt strut fork

# 9 - you need to remove the 4 bolts on the back side where the axle went through the knuckle hole ,, some bolts are 12 mm ,, some are 10mm 12 point ,,for the latest you would need a 12 point socket

# 10- for this you need to temporarily reconnect lower ball joint into control arm, and loosely install the nut

# 11 - get a big hammer and hit the rotor till it pops out ,, do not worry about damaging it since you are replacing it anyways

# 12 -once rotor/bub assembly is out ... remember those 4 14 mm bolts that you loosened up earlier?? remove them , tunr the rotor to slip through the hub

# 13, install new rotor , this time tighten the 4 , 14 mm bolts..

# 14- clean the area where the hub goes into the knuckle and the hub itself

# 15- reinstall everything ,,,,,,

if you have air tools it should take you no longer than 20 minutes each side ,, doind it this way you WILL NOT have to dick around with pressing the bearing in and out , thus it will not get damaged ,,,,,I have done a bunch of them this way ,,
You do not have to remove the knuckle from the car , it stays attached to tie rod end ,,

If you have any questions Yell back ...One final note.........make sure to double chk all your work and that everything is tight ,,

Old 01-22-2006, 09:11 PM

yea the hub has to be pressed out.... just gank the whole knucle, your going to have to remove the big nut in the middle which is going to be on at at least 200 foot pounds and then the ball joint at the bottom and the top. that rotor on there may still be good. it gets rusty when it sits but if you have it turned for 8 bucks it may be good as new. good luck junk yards are a bitch sometimes.

lightshow

Old 01-22-2006, 09:13 PM

o and your stud probably broke cause the last time you had tires put on your car the shop put the lug nuts on with a impact wrench, and then they were wayyyyy to tight. my local discount tire is notorious for doing this, and i always have them foot the bill to get it fixed.

lightshow

Old 01-23-2006, 02:30 PM

Desert: ok, that solves the problem at the junkyard, pretty much unless I want get my rotors turned/replaced I'll be looking at the press then? I've got access to the auto hobby shop on base, I'm not sure if they have the machine to turn rotors though, I guess I can find that out today when I go and replace my bald tires, lol

Lightshow: yes and no, yeah, they were on way too tight, but that was with a standard lug wrench, I'm pretty sure the threads were shot, unless I stood on the wrench to torque it (about 185 lbs), it would always work itself loose. I'm pretty sure that torque number should be closer to 100 lbs.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:52 PM

torque on the lugs should be 85 foot pounds.

lightshow

Old 01-25-2006, 01:39 PM

ok, went to the jy, got the hub, reaped one of the studs, and went that route, thanks for the help guys! 85 ft/lbs ehh, damn, that's less than my tempo, I'll have to check what they're at then.