General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to replace Brakes and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Default Trying to replace Brakes and Rotors

Hi,

I am trying to replace my brakes and rotors. On the right side I have got the bolts off to remove the brake pads and only one bolt on the left side. I have done everything to get the other bolts off, but they will not come off. I have sprayed with WD-40 and PB Blaster, they really will not come off! I don't know what else to do...any suggestions?

Old 12-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

1. Are you changing the front brakes?

2. Are you using a wrench to hold the caliper slide pin and then using another wrench to try to loosen the bolt?

Six point (instead of 12 point) sockets and wrenches are better to loosen the bolts, as they have less chance of rounding the head of the bolt.

For the front calipers, even if the bolt doesn't come off the slide pin yet, if the bottom bolt is off, you can usually flip the caliper up, gently slide the rubber boot off the slide pin, then push the caliper off.

3. Then to remove the caliper mounting bracket, you can turn the steering wheel in on the side you are working on (to give you more room), then use a breaker bar and socket (19mm) to loosen the two mount bolts.

4. A hand impact driver and hammer will help remove the Philips head screws on the rotor.

If you take some pictures of your current progress, I can see where you're at and try to guide you.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:56 AM

Actually I got it off!... My neighbor had a bigger socket wrench and it came off really easy actually. So I finished the right side. Now I'm just trying to get the two screws out the rotor on the left side. Who ever replaced my rotors before kind of stripped the screws...

Old 12-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

If you don't have a hand impact driver.....well you can "drill the head" off the screws. Then remove what is left with a pair of pliers. You don't really need them, they just help hold the rotor to the hub during install.....if both are bad, borrow one from the other side and call it good. One on each side will be more than enough to hold the rotor.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Another alternative to getting the screw off is to use either a punch or cold chisel and hammer. You would make an indentation on a side of the screw head, then hold the punch/chisel at an angle and hit it with the hammer, going in a counter clockwise direction (to loosen the screw).

Old 12-27-2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Another alternative to getting the screw off is to use either a punch or cold chisel and hammer. You would make an indentation on a side of the screw head, then hold the punch/chisel at an angle and hit it with the hammer, going in a counter clockwise direction (to loosen the screw).
That's exactly what my dad did to get it loose.

Thank you guys...