General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Turn Signal / Headlamp / Wiper - Works some then not! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Default Turn Signal / Headlamp / Wiper - Works some then not! Help!

HI I have a 2003 Honda Accord, 4Dr, cyl.

A few months ago my turn signals, wiper motor, and hi or low (not sure which) beams quit working on my car. After a few hours of looking at it and asking questions at the auto parts stores they started working fine. A few weeks ago the same thing happened, but only lasted and hour. Now they have been off a few days. Please help.

I have looked at the fuses they seem to be fine, though I know relatively nothing about mechanics. The hazards work, but the turn signals do nothing, the headlamps don't seem to work either, the running lights do come on. The windshield wiper doesn't work unless you put it to full speed. Not a clue what is going on, hoping one of you can help or turn me to the right forum.

Thanks!!!

Old 07-30-2011, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It is likely the combination switch assembly in the steering column. There are tests that can be performed to check the switch assy.

You will need a shop manual to guide you. Go to ebay automanualsource and purchase emanual for your vehicle (2003-2007 Accord) and download the e-manual.

You should be able to find a used switch on ebay or car-part.com. I found them as cheap as $25.

These newer Accords seem to be terribly sensitive to any moisture, so a drink spill or other stickly liquid spill can be a death sentence.

good luck

Old 07-30-2011, 08:49 AM

Thanks Texas Honda, I had someone mention that, but wouldn't that mean replacing the whole turn signal arm? If so, why would the wiper side (arm on the other side) not be working unless you put it on high.

Just curious, I had someone mention what you did to me, but they were saying to replace that arm. Is this what you are talking about.

Thanks for the help, I will get myself a manual.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Both turn signal stem and wiper control stem are part of an assembly. I don't think they are individually available.

As I said tests are indicated to confirm the combination switch is the problem, however this seems likely.

good luck

Old 02-17-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Groundhog
HI I have a 2003 Honda Accord, 4Dr, cyl.

A few months ago my turn signals, wiper motor, and hi or low (not sure which) beams quit working on my car. After a few hours of looking at it and asking questions at the auto parts stores they started working fine. A few weeks ago the same thing happened, but only lasted and hour. Now they have been off a few days. Please help.

I have looked at the fuses they seem to be fine, though I know relatively nothing about mechanics. The hazards work, but the turn signals do nothing, the headlamps don't seem to work either, the running lights do come on. The windshield wiper doesn't work unless you put it to full speed. Not a clue what is going on, hoping one of you can help or turn me to the right forum.

Thanks!!!

I have exact same problem on my 2007 honda accord coupe... this happens randomly... sometimes last few hrs... sometime days...

Did you find a solution yet? Thank you

Old 02-19-2012, 03:29 PM

Yes, I just solved my problem in the last few weeks. It was the dual switch assembly as TexasHonda said (new switch for lights and wipers). It was simple and under $100 thanks TexasHonda!

Old 02-20-2012, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Groundhog
Yes, I just solved my problem in the last few weeks. It was the dual switch assembly as TexasHonda said (new switch for lights and wipers). It was simple and under $100 thanks TexasHonda!
Thank you... I am not very technical, could you tell me what is this part exactly called and where could I order one.