General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unsolvable Steering Wheel Vibration Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 12:06 PM
Default Unsolvable Steering Wheel Vibration Issue

Hi all!

I drive a 2007 Coupe 2.4L EX-L with about 105K miles on it. A while ago the steering wheel would start to shake side to side when braking at highway speeds or when going down hill above about 45 mph. The steering wheel shakes, but not the brake pedal. A few months ago, I replaced all 4 rotors and all brake pads (and even what seemed to be a seized brake caliper - driver side rear), but that still did not solve the issue. A few days ago I replaced all 4 tires (thinking that maybe the tire's steel belt had become uneven) but the problem still continues. I have had the wheels balanced and aligned, but still no effect on the cars braking/steering issue. The steering wheel is slightly tilted to the left as well, even after alignments. The local Midas shop hasn't been able to find anything wrong with the car (I ask them to check it at every oil change), but maybe I can't expect much from a national chain type shop?

What are your thoughts? I'm thinking its a steering rack issue now, but I have been dealing with it for a while and have decided to get this figured out once and for all. My next step is to take it to the local Honda dealer and pay about $140 just to have a diagnostic check done. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Old 11-13-2015, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suspect something loose in the suspension or steering; tie-rod inner or outer ball jt (BJ), upper & lower BJ's, wheel bearing, or loose rack/pinion (steering wheel slack).

Lift each front wheel off ground and pull in/out on opposite sides to feel for play. Even a slight looseness can be a problem. If you find looseness, you will need a helper to perform the force input while you examine parts (above list) for the movement. If no suspension parts movement, steering rack slack becomes more likely.

Steering wheel slack is assesed by turning the steering wheel to limits of slack and looking for suspension parts looseness. Play limit is 10mm at the outside of steering wheel. There is an adjustment procedure for the rack guide in shop manual.

If you're not a DIY'r, then look for a good front end shop by asking at parts stores and checking Angie's List. Honda shop may be a good option.

good luck

Old 11-17-2015, 02:59 PM

I'm blaming the rotors (runout). Most likely front. Did u use el cheapo parts? I suppose u could measure the runout with dial indicator or micrometer...

Sounds like u installed them. Maybe have someone look them over?

Steering wheel shake on braking is 99% of the time rotors in my experience.

See if the steering wheel shakes when u pull the ebrake.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies

How have the tires been wearing? Anything unusual (i.e. cupping, feathering, etc)? Have you checked wheel bearings, struts and half-shafts? Things you wouldn't even imagine can have strange affects on the steering wheel.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:27 AM

Since you haven't been able diagnose on your own, paying for a professional diagnosis is a great idea. Will save you from spending money on parts that may not help. But rather than a dealer, I would look for a really good tire or alignment shop and then do a rude along and point out what it is doing while you're riding with the mechanic. I think that will give you the best chance at success.

Old 01-02-2023, 12:08 PM
PMP
Smile Pmp

Originally Posted by 1898sinfonian
hi all!

I drive a 2007 coupe 2.4l ex-l with about 105k miles on it. A while ago the steering wheel would start to shake side to side when braking at highway speeds or when going down hill above about 45 mph. The steering wheel shakes, but not the brake pedal. A few months ago, i replaced all 4 rotors and all brake pads (and even what seemed to be a seized brake caliper - driver side rear), but that still did not solve the issue. A few days ago i replaced all 4 tires (thinking that maybe the tire's steel belt had become uneven) but the problem still continues. I have had the wheels balanced and aligned, but still no effect on the cars braking/steering issue. The steering wheel is slightly tilted to the left as well, even after alignments. The local midas shop hasn't been able to find anything wrong with the car (i ask them to check it at every oil change), but maybe i can't expect much from a national chain type shop?

What are your thoughts? I'm thinking its a steering rack issue now, but i have been dealing with it for a while and have decided to get this figured out once and for all. My next step is to take it to the local honda dealer and pay about $140 just to have a diagnostic check done. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
pmp
i had 2000 accord v6 , had same issue and replaced all four rotors-pads,, both front axles and more suspension parts and had around 110000 miles , than i tried and replaced engine and transmission mounts and problem was solved, so i suggest checking you engine and trans mounts, as my shaking problem was at high speed and braking.

Last edited by PMP; 01-02-2023 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2023, 12:11 PM
PMP

PMP
I had 2000 accord v6 , had same issue and replaced all four rotors-pads,, both front axles and more suspension parts and had around 110000 miles , than i tried and replaced engine and transmission mounts and problem was solved, so i suggest checking you engine and trans mounts, as my shaking problem was at high speed and braking.