General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

unusual airbag problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 04:48 PM
Default unusual airbag problem

Hi All, I just found your forum and i so hope someone has heard of my example re: airbags

I am an Accord owner and am at my wits end. you may have heard of my situation, as i am currently battling it out with Honda Corp...
I am 64 yr old female and own a 2004 Accord since new. never an accident 10K/yr milage
3 years ago while driving i heard this hissing(air escaping) sound from steering wheel that lasted about 6 seconds, then white powder entered the driver side compartment ( i believe through the vents as they were covered in powder) and finally the airbag deployment light came on and has been on since. i had the ignitor replaced, seatbelt harness replaced, dealers say everything is fine, but i have a hard time believing it
My airbag did NOT deploy out of the compartment. I can find every single twist on airbags, sensors, ignitors except this one.
I have asked honda to replace the airbag system (remove from steering wheel and replace) because i do not believe the airbag is intact(because of powder and hissing) they will only read codes...
has anyone heard of this happening that can enlighten me as to what could have happened..

Old 02-18-2016, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

If there are codes (SRS light is on) then ask them to give you the specific code. then give us that code(s) and lets see what we can do. Without that there isn't much we can really do to help.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Did you ever get a safety recall letter from Honda regarding "Safety Recall: Driver’s Airbag Inflator May Produce Excessive Pressure After Long-Term Exposure to High Absolute Humidity"?

Check with the dealer or Honda America if your car's VIN is eligible. If it is eligible, the driver's airbag inflator kit will be replaced, at which time you could ask them to look at the condition of the airbag.

There is Honda Service Bulletin 15-040 regarding it for the techs.