General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Using driver's door handle is locking the car.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Exclamation Using driver's door handle is locking the car.

New to the forums but can really use some help.

--1998 Accord 2.4L EX AT--

My mechanic friend has been helping me fix a few things in relation to the driver's side door. Today we fixed the window regulator which was done without a problem, but since we were in the door already we decided to go ahead and replace the power lock actuator since it wasn't working and has been making a buzzing sound for a few months now when using the switch.

Removing/replacing the actuator went smoothly enough, but now we have two problems:

1) The power locks switches now lock all four doors, but still does not open the driver's door.

2) With the door closed and unlocked, trying to open the door with either the in/outside lever now automatically locks the driver's door. The outside key lock will still unlock it, and if we hold the key in the 'unlock' position and pull the lever at the same time the door will open without a problem. Subsequently, when inside the car, holding the manual lock up (the part sticking up through the door) and pulling the inside lever at the same time the door will open without a problem.

We've checked the door lock fuse (which is fine...) and all rods seem to be where they should be.

After hours of messing with it we've thrown in the towel for the day... and after much searching for answers aren't able to come up with anything via the internet thus far....

I'd like to avoid taking it to the shop if at all possible, so I'd like to exhaust all means before doing so.

ALL help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Luri

Removing/replacing the actuator went smoothly enough, but now we have two problems:

1) The power locks switches now lock all four doors, but still does not open the driver's door.

2) With the door closed and unlocked, trying to open the door with either the in/outside lever now automatically locks the driver's door. The outside key lock will still unlock it, and if we hold the key in the 'unlock' position and pull the lever at the same time the door will open without a problem. Subsequently, when inside the car, holding the manual lock up (the part sticking up through the door) and pulling the inside lever at the same time the door will open without a problem.
These two problems sound to me like different causes.

Problem #1 may be due to the multiplex system. Try resetting the multiplex system. Turn the intermittent wiper ring (on the wiper switch) to its mid-position, then turn the ignition switch ON and OFF. You may need to do this simple resetting procedure if the intermittent wiper ring is below its mid-position when fuse No. 54 (40A) in the under-hood fuse/relay box was removed and reinstalled, or after the battery has been discharged or disconnected.

If resetting doesn't resolve it, you may possible need a new multiplex control unit (the one located in the driver's side door. See Honda service bulletin regarding the unit:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at...5&d=1135299327

Problem # 2 sounds like incorrect installation. Double-check the work; e.g., rod(s) properly attached at proper locations, electrical connector(s) attached, inner handle attached correctly, etc. This problem sounds vaguely familiar to what I encountered before; I don't remember the exact cause at this moment; but, it was due to inadvertently not reinstalling something correctly. I just remember is was a simple thing that fixed it and was due to forgetting something.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the reply redbull...

Please let me know if you remember the simple thing you fixed, it may help in the end.

I've tried resetting the multiplex system earlier yesterday but probably didn't do it exactly right, i'll try it a few more times today and see if i can get it to work.

When the problem with the door handle first started we immediately uninstalled/reinstalled it hoping that it would fix the problem but we'll try it again regardless.

If anyone has any more ideas please bring them forward!