General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using Rear Hook as Roof Rack Tie Down

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Default Using Rear Hook as Roof Rack Tie Down

Sorry for the double post but my initial post was in reply to another post and the title was confusing.

I am putting a Yakima roof rack on my accord so I I can take a full sized spare on my trip to Alaska. The rack and tire are sort of heavy (but within the limits of what Yakima says I can carry) so there will be a good bit of forward inertia when I stop, especially if I stop quickly.

When I saw the rear hook, I thought that I might put a tiedown from the hook to the roof rack to decrease the chance of forward movement of the rack.

I would obviously put padding at the points where the rope or strap goes over the car to protect the finish.

Can anyone see any negatives to my idea? Does anyone have any better suggestions?

DON

Old 05-08-2011, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

Should be OK if you're emotionally prepared for cosmetic damage like scuff marks from the rope.

I think a full-size spare will fit into the tire well. Then put lower-weight cargo in a box (Yakima "Space-Case" or something like that).