General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tie rod unscrewed itself from rack

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Default Tie rod unscrewed itself from rack

The inner tie rod on the car seems to somehow have unscrewed itself from the rack. I originally believed it was broken until I got it home and saw the entire tie rod is intact just unscrewed. Both of the bellow boots (I believe that is what they are called) driver and passenger side are cracked with a moderate amount of black grease around the area where the inner tie rod screws into the rack. I am well aware my entire front needs an overhaul ie: new tie rods, CV axles etc but am now wondering if the rack and pinion will need replaced as well. There is not a lot of play in the steering, we have not needed to add any power steering fluid. Any help anyone can give to diagnose why the tie rod came off would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Dana

Old 12-09-2012, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

Are you low on power steering fluid?

You might want to remove the clip closer to the tire and pull the boot back to verify the inner tie-rod worked itself out. It may have snapped or come apart.

Is this the original inner-tie rod?

Old 12-09-2012, 03:46 AM

I don't really see how this is possible. The inner is turned on and it would have to turn along with the outer-tie rod. You would need to take the outer tie-rod off the steering knuckle and then turn it in order to remove it from the inner tie-rod. I would think that the inner tie-rod broke off or simply stripped the threads of the rack which case you'd probably need a new rack.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:41 AM

The power steering is not low, we have had the car for 3 years and we have only added fluid maybe 1 time since we have owned it. I am not sure if the part is original or not. Whom ever owned the car prior to us did lower the car though. The entire inner tie rod is out (including the lock nut) and still attached to the outer tie rod which in turn is still attached to the tire. I did check the threads on in tie rod as well as sticking my finger into the rack to feel the threads there and let me tell you they are prominent enough that I cut my finger. We bought a new inner tie rod and I was able to screw it into the rack, it was secure and I could not pull it out...believe me I am just as doubtful about it unscrewing itself but that is exactly what it appears to have done...have searched for info every where about this occurring but can find none...I don't want to just install the new tie rod and be done, I want to make sure it's safe to drive.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

The rod can come loose....rare but can happen.

Be sure the stopper and lock washer are installed.

Attached Thumbnails Tie rod unscrewed itself from rack-5th-gen-inner-tie-rod-pt1.jpg   Tie rod unscrewed itself from rack-5th-gen-inner-tie-rod-pt2.jpg  
Old 12-09-2012, 12:55 PM

thank you for your response, was beginning to feel like I was crazy LOL and thanks for the photos, we do have the lock washer but the stopper is not there...going to need to get one...thanks again