General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve train noise Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Valve train noise Help Please

Hey guys,
I have a 98 4cyl LEV Vtec accord that has been having some valve train noise. I thought I probably just needed to adjust the valves and I followed the procedures documented on this forum in the tech section. To my suprise the valve lash was pretty much adjusted correctly. None were way off or anything like that. I put everything back together and it is still noisy no better or worse. It is worse when the engine is cold. Once it gets warmed up the noise is not so bad, but you can still hear it. Any ideas on what I could check next? Or should I take it in and have it looked at? Thought about using a heavier weight oil, but was not sure about that. Right now I am using 5W30 non-syn regular old dino oil in the car. Is it normal to have some amount of valve train noise with these engines?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Got a stethoscope? Maybe a scrap peice of garden hose? Check whether the sound is actually coming from the valves vs. maybe it's noisy injectors??

Old 11-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes I do have a mechanics stethoscope I can give it a try. I listened to the noise with a bit more attention on my lunch break. The ticking is bad when I accelerate. When I let off the gas the noise just about disappears. When the car is sitting at idle it is noisy as well. Once the car is up to normal operating temp the tick is barly noticable. How would you diagnose a noisy injector?
Thanks

Old 11-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

First thing, pinpoint the location of the sound; injector vs. valve vs. exh.manifold gasket vs. whatever else might be making noise.

The way Honda writes specs, you measure valve clearance COLD. Did you measure yours when the engine was warm?
Also I think for an SOHC engine you measure them at the valve stem (not at the cam lobe).

I've been told noisy injectors are semi-common in Hondas, & not always BAD. I haven't had noisy injectors, so I don't really know what to say about HOW LOUD is acceptable.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes I checked valve lash when the engine was cold.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Mine does the same thing. I checked all my valves when I did my timing and balance belt job. They were all in perfect adjustment. I have just over 71,000 miles. My fuel injectors are very quiet. I used 5W30 max life yesterday when I changed the oil and it sounds the same. I have read these 2.2's are good for this. As soon as mine warms up you can barely hear them. It's annoying though. I feel like I have a diesel motor at start up, okay not that bad, but still....

Old 01-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds about normal to me, noisy valves are happy valves.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I have a 1993 that is the same way. I think I will just drive it though. Already adjusted lash when cold. Everything seems fine. Lots of power. Fairly noisy when cold though. Also noisy when at idle. Seems quieter on warm days.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I used to have that noise on my 95 Accord but not after replacing the head gasket. While I had it apart I replace the oil restrictor with the updated Honda one and found that the first exhaust manifold bolt/stud was broken from the factory. I don’t know which change corrected the noise but from working at a dealership in regard to noise setting the valve lash hot or cold makes little difference. I did all makes of used cars in the Honda building and they set them hot or cold and never had a compliant. As long as you used metric feeler blades per the under hood sticker you should be fine.