General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Valve VTC BROKEN HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 04:19 PM
Exclamation Valve VTC BROKEN HELP!!

Hello, good evening !, I need help and share the knowledge of you with me, I have a honda accord 2004 EX is a great car, however I went to change the valve vtc and the valve broke, one part stayed inside and the other part came out in mine hand, I have many doubts about how I will remove this part that has been inside the engine, the lateral space is very tight, please guide me the best way to remove the part that was inside the engine block.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest a mirror to get a good look at broken end that you need to remove. You may be able to thread a long wood screw into the stub and pull/pry out with vise grip..

I moved your post to a new thread for better attention.

good luck

Old 07-25-2018, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the reply .. but the space is too tight to stick some screw, here in my city the mechanics are charging a very high value to take this piece and is leaking much oil I will show you the photos.

Old 07-13-2022, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Accord2004.EX
Hello, good evening !, I need help and share the knowledge of you with me, I have a honda accord 2004 EX is a great car, however I went to change the valve vtc and the valve broke, one part stayed inside and the other part came out in mine hand, I have many doubts about how I will remove this part that has been inside the engine, the lateral space is very tight, please guide me the best way to remove the part that was inside the engine block.
Hello I realize this is old post, but I just snapped my actuator off as well. Did you happen to find a way to remove it. Thanks

Old 07-13-2022, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

It should only be held in by the o-ring. Spray it down with wd-40 (or equivalent) to lubricate the o-ring.

Can you get some pliers on the metal piece sticking up from the middle? I'm thinking something like hose pliers or maybe the pliers that remove the push clips? Prying on the part (not the metal) with a small screwdriver or pant can opener to get it out?

You don't want to damage the aluminum part of the head/block as that can cause a permanent oil leak.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:22 PM

Working on my daughter's 2007 I ran into this problem. The solenoid assemble fell out in pieces leaving half stuck in the engine just like shown above. I found this post online and it was helpful but there wasn't a "final solution" that worked to get the broken half out of the engine. I was able to get the broken piece out. At first I tried needle nose pliers. I was able to grab the small round metal rod in the middle of the broken piece but it came out by itself without the surrounding part. This I could not get with needle nose pliers. I ended up sticking a pretty hefty bolt, about the diameter of the metal rod that came out, into the hole. I pulled the bolt to one side so the threads would grab on the inside of the broken piece and pulled. This got it to start it coming out and I was then able to grab it and pull it out. Just wanted to share since this seems to be a problem that can happen.