General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 07:33 AM
Default Vibration Issues

Hello all. I just got my first Honda Accord, an 04 EX-L V6 Sedan, and I love it! I purchased from a dealer who buys from Honda after leases run out (the reason why I only have 32k miles on the car). Everything is great, except I am having a few issues:

1) The car vibrates at around 70 mph and up
I have read a number of different forum posts that suggest that this is the wheels being unbalanced. Since it came off of a lease, I have a feeling that no tire balancing/rotation has been done to the car in quite some time, as the previous owner didn't really have a reason too. Also, the car does tend to pull a decent amount to the right from what I am used to (came from a BMW, which had perfect alignment). Could this have something to do with it as well?

2) I feel a pretty strong vibration in the steering wheel when braking from high speeds
Normally I wouldn't think this was too big of a deal, as it may be caused by the ABS. However, in this case it is definitely more severe than something ABS should cause. Could this also be caused by the unbalanaced/unrotated tires as well? Or could it possibly have to do with a rotor (seems unlikely since the car only has 32k miles on it)?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Vibration Issues

Vibration at speed could be unbalanced or worn tires, and could also be cause of pulling right. Not sure about 04 Accords, but earlier models (97 & earlier) did not have adjustable camber, the most likely source of right lead, hence worn tires may be more likely. Lack of rotation would contribute to this problem.

Try swapping front tires and see if lead reverses. If yes, the problem is tires. I would swap front tires to back and see if things improve.

You may want to consider a new set oftires if the tires have any significant unbalanced wear. It's hard to correct for previous neglect, and I've had to replace tires on several used cars due to similar problems.

Vibration during braking is result of brake rotor warping or uneven wear. Rotors can be turned (if sufficient thickness remains) or replaced. Good news is I'm pretty sure you have floating rotors (installed over wheel studs) that are easily replaced. Suggest you replace brake pads with either turning or replacement of rotors. I recently did this on several of my cars (3!) that had bad braking vibration. I thought I could detect some uneven wear of the brake pads (longitudinal rippling) and wondered if that might have something to do w/ the uneven rotor wear. Doesn't seem possible, but pads are fairly cheap. Monroe currently has a good deal on brake pads w/ $15 rebate. I really like the Raybestos rotors I recently purchased.

good luck

Old 04-20-2008, 09:21 AM

ORIGINAL: TexasHonda

Vibration at speed could be unbalanced or worn tires, and could also be cause of pulling right. Not sure about 04 Accords, but earlier models (97 & earlier) did not have adjustable camber, the most likely source of right lead, hence worn tires may be more likely. Lack of rotation would contribute to this problem.

Try swapping front tires and see if lead reverses. If yes, the problem is tires. I would swap front tires to back and see if things improve.

You may want to consider a new set oftires if the tires have any significant unbalanced wear. It's hard to correct for previous neglect, and I've had to replace tires on several used cars due to similar problems.

Vibration during braking is result of brake rotor warping or uneven wear. Rotors can be turned (if sufficient thickness remains) or replaced. Good news is I'm pretty sure you have floating rotors (installed over wheel studs) that are easily replaced. Suggest you replace brake pads with either turning or replacement of rotors. I recently did this on several of my cars (3!) that had bad braking vibration. I thought I could detect some uneven wear of the brake pads (longitudinal rippling) and wondered if that might have something to do w/ the uneven rotor wear. Doesn't seem possible, but pads are fairly cheap. Monroe currently has a good deal on brake pads w/ $15 rebate. I really like the Raybestos rotors I recently purchased.

good luck
THanks for the tips!!

So since I bought the car used there really is no way of knowing whether or not the tires are balanced/aligned without taking the car in?

Also, I was thinking about just running over to the local Pep Boys to have it done. Do you think that this is an OK idea?

Old 04-20-2008, 03:18 PM

UPDATE:

Went to Big10 Tires today and found out that I need a little more than just a balance. Looks like my tires are about done for, so I am going to put 4 new tires on there (any suggestions), as well as new rear brake pads, resufacing of the rotors (most likely causing the vibration when breaking) and get it re-aligned.

Sound about right to cover everything?

Old 04-20-2008, 03:57 PM

I like Michelins, but there are other good brands also.

In my experience (only diy but a fair amount of Honda/Acura experience), I've never seen rear brakes cause vibration, but I guess it's possible. I suspect you'll find the front rotors are causing the vibration. Brake installers always want to turn the rotors to avoid a comeback. I don't turn rotors, only replace them since cost differential is not enough to justify possibility of faulty machining job.

good luck

Old 04-20-2008, 08:15 PM

ORIGINAL: TexasHonda

I like Michelins, but there are other good brands also.

In my experience (only diy but a fair amount of Honda/Acura experience), I've never seen rear brakes cause vibration, but I guess it's possible. I suspect you'll find the front rotors are causing the vibration. Brake installers always want to turn the rotors to avoid a comeback. I don't turn rotors, only replace them since cost differential is not enough to justify possibility of faulty machining job.

good luck
Sorry, my fault. I meant to say that I need new rear brake pads and resurface of the FRONT rotors, which is causing the vibration.

On that note though, what is getting new rear pads going to cost as well as resurfacing front rotors? After doing some research, looks like I could be all in for $600+

(4) Tires - $400
Rear Brake Pads - $120
Resurface Rotors - $60?
Alignment $60

Old 04-21-2008, 06:59 PM

Those prices look reasonable, but I haven't priced tires recently. I know they must have escalated sharply due to oil prices.

good luck