Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

99 Accord - Vibration Issues...

Old 11-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 99 Accord - Vibration Issues...

I have owned this Accord since 2005 and it has been a great daily driver. I have troubleshooted various minor concerns over the years through this site, youtube, haynes manual, etc.

I recently have been having vibration concerns that seemed to be coming from the front passenger side area. This initially was only felt at about 60-65 mph and only in accel. I thought I had the problem corrected after completing a front brake pad replacement and in which really looking closely in the wheel well area. I had found that the CV shaft boot had been torn and there was grease present in the wheel well.

I needless to say just replaced the CV shaft last night and thought I had fixed the problem because after driving in town a little while the problem had seemed to go away! .....WRONG

During my commute today the problem became present once again and only in accel. I don't know if this makes any sense, but the problem doesn't seem to occur until about half way into my commute?

I am just looking to see if anyone has any other thoughts about where to look next. I looked the engine mounts over and ball joints - they appear to be OK.

Thanks in advance!
-Nick

Old 11-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I had same problem after CV axle replacement w/ Autozone axles. After going through 2 axles on both sides, I replaced w/ raxles on both sides and problem resolved.

AZ axles don't have the vibration dampner on the axle shaft, which I think leads to the vibration under acceleration problem.

Unfortunatley, I don't know of any way to accurately diagnose this problem other than replace the CV axle. I tried everything, including elevating on jackstands and turning wheels w/ engine. It would not simulate the vibration condition; vibration under significant acceleration.

good luck

Old 11-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thx Texas for the reply. I actually for peace of mind last night had the tires rotated and balanced - it was not overdue, but since I completed the Passenger Side CV shaft replacement - I thought it may be a good idea. I had let the service manager know about the vibration I was having under acceleration and asked him for his opinion.

After they completed the service, they took the car out. He told me he felt the symptoms all pointed to the CV shaft.

End result is that I am purchased the Driver's side (even though I did not originally see any signs of damage to that side) CV shaft yesterday and plan to replace it on Monday. I just had figured that since the passenger side boot had the tear that it was the one causing the problem. I noted that on today's drive, I could visibly see vibration in my driver's side - side mirror, whereas, the passenger side mirror did not appear to be moving....

Thanks for the info on the AZ shafts not having a vibration dampener. I bought the passenger side one from Advance Auto, as well as, the Driver's side one I just got last night. I'm not sure if AZ and Advance are using the same supplier or not? When you say there is a vibration dampener on the Raxles - is this a balance weight type application that is visible on the shaft? I just wondered how to identify a part that has and does not have a dampener on it.

Thanks and I will keep you posted on resolution. Hopefully I will have good news on Tuesday!

Old 11-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Go to raxlesx.com and see products/cv axles. The rubber ring around the axle shaft between the rubber boots is the vibration dampner.

good luck

Old 11-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Newest Of Newbies

And, The results are in........Vibration Issues are GONE!!!
(I know there were so many of you waiting in anticipation...jk! - I was at least!)

I replaced the Driver's side CV shaft last night and drove the car around - The problems appeared to have disappeared, however, I wanted to wait till my morning commute today before getting too excited because the test drive was mainly city driving. When the CV shaft was removed last night, you could definitely feel the looseness on the inner side of the shaft - there seemed to be quite a bit of play. This is an early xmas present for me! Just to recap....

*Vibration felt around 62mph (give/take) - ONLY during acceleration.
*Vibration initially was not felt during city driving - as problem progressed, there was an out-of-round vibration feeling on the passenger side during accel - along with the continued highway speed vibration.
*Investigation of this site and other sources based on the problem description - I had narrowed down the potential causes to CV Shaft, Motor Mounts or Tire balance issues.
*During a Frt Brake Pad replacement - I found the Passenger Side Outer CV Shaft Boot to be torn and grease was present in the wheel well area. (Note: The grease presence was a give-away for a torn boot)
*Ordered & Replaced the Pass-Side (RH) CV Shaft Assy from Advance Auto. (This was roughly ~$60 w/a $36 Core Charge)
*Test Drove and found that the Hwy Speed Vibration (while improved slightly) was still present during acceleration, however, the city driving out-of-round wheel vibration on the pass side was gone. At this point - There was some "What's going on's?" happening....
*Decided to order/replace the Driver's side CV Shaft. I tried to pay attention to the Hwy Speed Vibration and to me it felt like it was coming from the center of the car and I could feel it in my feet. I also noted that my driver's side - side mirror had visible vibration, whereas, the pass side - side mirror did not. (This was roughly ~$60 w/a $17 Core Charge)
*Found upon removal that the CV shaft on the inner side did in fact have a lot of play, thus I felt like this was likely the culprit for the remaining issues.
*Test Drove and found all issues were GONE!
*Total Cost for Repairs ~$120. Worth it for getting back to a great driving car!

Next Up....That Pesky Check Engine Light that has been on for quite some time, I've done quite a bit of recent research and I will be heading to the Engine forum next to post on my EGR potential concerns.

Thanks again to all for your help and I hope this can be of some help to others!

-Nick

Old 11-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the write-up. The most important thing for helping others is coming back to post the final result - what worked, what didn't.

Having said that, it's no guarantee that EVERYONE's vibration comes from the same place. The process of figuring it out is important.