General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration uncer acceleration, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Accordcurious83
Unregistered
Default vibration uncer acceleration, what do you think?

I just bought my first Honda 3 days ago. It should be in the signature, but it's a 99 Accord V6 coupe. It's great, except there is some slight vibration under acceleration only. When I am at the same speed (like using cruise control), the vibration doesn't exist. I feel it more in the seat than the steering wheel and it's more notciable on the driver's side. I hope it's not the transmission! It's not awful, but certainly noticeable.

Any clues? Do you need any more information from me?

I'm glad to have found this site! After years of owning GM's from the eighties, I'm happy to finally own something respectable and hopefully dependable.

Thank you!

Old 04-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Default RE: vibration uncer acceleration, what do you think?

I have the same problem, Check you tie rod ends, Maybe a balled tire on one side. If you need an alignment, it may also vibrate.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

A vibration on accel is almost always a bad inner c/v joint. Make sure none of the suspension is loose.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Accordcurious83
Unregistered

Thank you for your input. I spent ALL of my money for this car... paid cash. It's the most expensive thing I've ever bought so a transmission issue would be devastating. CV joints and other smaller stuff are a little easier to swallow! I'm going to have it diagnosed by the dealer in a week or so.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Chiovnidca

A vibration on accel is almost always a bad inner c/v joint. Make sure none of the suspension is loose.
this isnt true at all, but could be likely. motor mounts or transmission mounts could also be a more likely coulprit. most transmission shops look at everything to determine the likely cause. a shop near me looked at it and road tested it for free and thought my front motor mount looked bad. once its installed, ill let you guys know whats causing my vibration on accel.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Velocifero

this isnt true at all, but could be likely.
No possibility at all but it's still likely huh??? heeeeee

Old 04-06-2008, 11:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Velocifero

ORIGINAL: Chiovnidca

this isnt true at all, but could be likely. motor mounts or transmission mounts could also be a more likely coulprit.
I beg to differ.Velo .and i have to agree with Chio ..90% of the times if not more i have found to be a bad or a lack of greased inner cv joint when shaking under accell and felt under the seat //////

I would remove the inner cv boots and make sure that there is planty of grease in the inner cv joints,, if not, pack them with grease and road test the car

Old 04-07-2008, 05:24 PM

Uh oh. Something hit me like a ton of bricks just now. My vibration began immediately after changing the passenger axle. After the first road test, i noticed vibration and assumed it was a faulty axle. Had a new one sent, changed it and same thing happened so i figured it wasnt the axle even though it seemed obvious.

Now when you guys mean lube the inner joint, are you referring to the inner spline shaft that goes into the transmission? I wasnt sure if the Haynes said to lube that area or not, but when i removed the old axle, there was no grease at all there so i thought none should be reapplied on the new one. I found only transmission oil on the spline so i figured grease shouldnt be mixed with tranny oil.

1. Should i have lubed the crap out of that inner spline shaft on the passenger side?

2. Should i have lubed the inner spline shaft on the drivers side even though it doesnt go into the transmission?

*edit* and 3. If 1 and 2 are true, is there any damage i should be worried about? it's been going on for about a month.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:00 PM

Well the haynes manual say's to grease both splines, I just did the driver's CV a few hours ago. I bought the axle and it omes ready to go, and is packed with grease. I can't say that all do, but mine did, I just greased the spline like the manual says and put it in.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

I think what Desert is saying is plenty of grease inside the rubber boot of the inboard CV joint.

Quick Reply: vibration uncer acceleration, what do you think?