General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration uncer acceleration, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome axp! Yours is probably a different problem, and certainly your diesel engine is much different than the engines in this thread. It's probably best for you to start a new thread with a title that indicates it's a diesel. Honda has never sold diesel Accords in USA, so your title should attract attention from UK or Europe members.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:21 PM
jurschel
Unregistered

So I'm new to this forum. I took my 1993 Accord LX in to a local honda shop because it was shaking at idle. Figured motormounts. They did a 30 point inspection and agreed and according to the invoice replaced front, left and rear motor mounts. They also noted that I have a balding right front tire. I got it back today and between 50-60mph there is now a shaking that I feel more in the seat than the vibration that I took it in for. My question is would everybody agree my first step is to replace the front 2 tires and if that doesn't fix it get it back to the shop and ask them to look at what?

Last edited by jurschel; 08-03-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:42 PM

I would look at the tire frst to make sure they are not lying to you.
If 1 of the tires needs replacing, might as well replace both front ones to prevent uneven wear.
Make sure they balance and align the tires when you get new ones.
If the dealer was lying to you about the front tire and both look OK, I would try getting them balanced. Many oil change shops can do this for you for about $25 or so. My steering wheel was shaking a few years ago (before I found and joined this forum actually) at about 50mph and up, all i needed was my tires balanced and rotated.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:53 PM
jurschel
Unregistered

Well I took it right back to them once I drove it away and found the new vibration. They drove with me and agreed that it was there. When we got back they balanced the two front wheels which they said were out of balance. On the retest it still vibrated. So, I said I'll just get two new front tires and if that doesn't resolve it then we'll have another talk.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

If they WERE bald, you needed tires - no doubt about it.

If a tire LOOKS ok, yet needs re-balancing over & over, then it might be the belts shifting around inside the tire. Not good.

Sometimes a bent rim goes un-noticed. These days balancing machines have so many safety covers that you don't always SEE the tire spinning unless you look for it.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:04 PM
jurschel
Unregistered

Well they said it was ONLY the right passenger side tire and it was bald on the inside tread or getting bald. So... right thing to do is replace both front tires and have a balance/alignment done and see what happens I guess. I suppose it's possible that the bad motor mounts vibration was offsetting the tire vibration and basically canceling each other out at speed. Now that I'm not getting any motor mount vibration all that's left is this hopefully worn tire.